Subject Author Posted Replies

Cheapest fencing
The fence pannels around part of my alotment have had it. I would like to replace it with more wood. What would be the cheapest and look OK I would like it to be around 4ft - 5ft Thankyou in advance,...
2
2

newspaper pots
has anybody ever tried to mske plantpots for seeds out of newspaper. i have downloaded a how to guide but before i try to make them i wanted to know if anybody had used this technique
3
3

Bottlebrush - after bloom?
After bloom, how should I deadhead - or should I? This is a healthy, vigorous plant that produces beautiful blooms. I haven't had a bottlebrush for decades, since my friend's dog ripped up my plant,...

watering shallots
I have shallots growing nicely here in Santa Barbara. They started putting out flower stalks. I have cut off the flower buds, and would like to know should I cut back on water; or what should I do now...

Back from the dead
Got a dead stick of a lemon tree sapling in an 18" tall pot. I thought the entire structure, roots and all were dead. Believe the few freezes here in S. Texas did the deed as it was outside. I watered...
3
3

Diseased apricot trees - help needed
I have two apricot trees that I planted two years ago. They grew fine the first two years. This year, they budded out and started to grow and were doing fine until a few weeks or so ago. Now one...
3
3

Wildflowers, how good?
I bought a couple of packs of wildflower seeds at the local hardware store. Now, I believe it is past time to plant them. For next year .......... How do they do? Is there any advantage in spreading...
1
1

Sudden hail storm :-(
...wiped out my garden today. Tomatoes and peppers that I had grown from seed are totally destroyed. The storm was a couple of hours ago, and the lawn is still white. I saw folks shoveling their decks...
7
7

Troy-Bilt Pony Model broken belt
I was tilling my vegetable garden this afternoon and I broke the forward drive belt. I'll be needing a replacement. Fortunately, I was close enough to done that I can go on and plant when the time...
14
14

Cheap Watering Can and Compost Sifter
Cheap watering "can" that works better than most store bought: Two gallon cat litter jugs with 1/8" holes drilled in lids and 1/2" vent hole in the top of the handles. Works great for my compost tea....
7
7

How to transplanting Pineapple broom trees
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum so please be gentle. I am also a very novice gardener so be even more gentle. We moved into our house just under 2 years ago, we have an acre at the back to try to...
1
1

a better grass edger design please..
It is hard to find a grass edger [not motorised] with the handles out to the side. The three I saw at the shop are each with handels in line with the wheel at the bottom and it would make so much more...
1
1

Lemon tree
Brief history. My brother gave me a sack full of lemons from a lemon tree he has at this house. I planted 6 seeds from one of these lemons 2 years ago. One survived. This winter, I left same outside...
1
1

Weed control help !!
I have a major problem controlling this trouble weed on my backyard. I have sprayed the whole area with the liquid weed control I bought at my local Home Depot two times but it did not appear to work....
6
6

One acorn germinated
This was last year's germination and it had shed its leaves during winter but has releafed to show me it is an Oak. It has violin shaped leaves. Which Oak is that? So far it is thriving and I hope it...
10
10