Subject Author Posted Replies

Horrilble weed problem for a newbie
Hi everyone. I've joined the forum in the hope that I can become a bit more green fingered. At the moment I tend to shove something in the ground and walk away knowing it's got two chances, but if I...
20
20

Deer Resistant Shrub Hedge Plant recommendations
Greetings all... Looking for a few suggestions for Deer Resistant Shrubs that can be used as a hedge. Something with these characteristics Zone 6 Dense Compact Shrub 6 - 10' tall 4- 5 ' width Partial...
9
9

Tree blossoms & late spring, Washington D.C. area
Looks like the growing season in Washington D.C. has been delayed a bit. The silver maple in blossoming in the image of April 1 last year, but not in the image taken on the same day this year. Now...
2
2

Railroad tie walkway
On one side of my property is a strip that is 7.5' wide and 75' long. That strip never gets any sun as on one side is the house and the other side is a 6' tall wood fence. The house also has a roof...
2
2

Grass in shade
I have three oak trees and I cannot get grass to grow under them. I know St Augustine will grow in the shade, but can anyone recommend a grass that will grow from seeds in a shaded area? Thanks
28
28

Yucca elepantipes jewel
Where the top growing point has been killed back by the hard frost in February is it likely that new growth will appear or should I cut the stem below the lowest leaf ?

Planting Liatris corns. Which side up ??
Planting Liatris corns...... Is there a right side up ?? I've got a bag of Liatris corns.... too many assorted shapes... I can't for the life of me, figure out any 'proper' way to plant them. Some...
3
3

amusing story.... human waste as fertizler
True story.... back in February my main sewerage pipe backed up. First indications were waste water building up in the utility sink in basement. Even more amazing, as I tried to move the washing...
3
3

Solar Garden Lighting Tips
Hi All, I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how solar garden lights can improve your garden over and above their decorative value. I've been looking...
3
3

Monstera deliciosa
Hi all, have googled, have info overload.I have not been able to find specifics regarding the monstera fruit, and when to harvest ie do they ripen on plant or should they be picked, and treated in...
1
1

Which food can I grow in my own garden?
I'm afraid that the financial crisis will get worse and that food will become very expensive. Because of that, I want to grow my own food. Which food-plants can I grow in an ordinary garden? I assume...
2
2

Amaryllis and other bulbs
Only one of my amaryllis will bloom this year. All have leaves trailing down. Is there a point at which I could cut these leaves off and start the whole thing over? I know I can cut off the yellow...
5
5

Help with plant identification.
Hello, I'm a new user (and a new gardener), so sorry for my first post being one asking for help! I have discovered one of the joys/pains of buying a house with a garden, and that is that as you go...
3
3

Help
What is the best way to remove groundelder that has taken over my garden preferably without using chemicals.? England

Need help with my OU project
Hi! I am new here, and though I am a keen gardener, I joined the forums because I need little help. I am an older student at Open University, and as a part of my course I am doing a project on...
5
5