Subject Author Posted Replies

Tiny ants, part II
Ok, I've tried using pulverized limestone, plus a number of other suggestions, like pepper powder, and cinnamon. It really did little more than make a mess of my kitchen, and the area right outside...
18
18

Ceanothus advice needed please
Hi I bought a Ceanothus Californian Lilac last year , it was about 3 feet tall when the heavy snow hit England at the beginning of this year, the weight of the snow bent the top half down and snapped...
1
1

siberian irises
I am looking for Moon Silk Siberian Iris and wonder where is the best place online to order this from. place that sends nice big fan rather than dinky nothing in tiny pot. Ingrid
1
1

Any Sand Cherry experts out there
I've google with little success - I want to move a sand cherry to a better spot, more sun and less chance of being taken out by the plow guy. What I really want to know it how large the root system is...
3
3

Problem with group?
I cannot download any recent messages, say the last two weeks. I am having no problems with other newsgroups. Is something going on with this group? Sherwin
2
2

Systemic pesticide for roses
I would like to use a systemic pesticide on my roses. I've heard systemic pesticides can be very dangerous. I've tried several different sprays and am not satisfied with the results. Can anyone...
80
80

No apple blossoms on apple trees this year?
My apple trees have very few blossoms on them this year. Last year they were loaded, this year next to nothing. I'm in the mid Wilammette Valley, Oregon. Anyone else in the Northwest observing this?
11
11

Transplanting Zinnia
I am growing giant zinnia from seed and transplanting them to the garden. They now have their first true leaves and are about three inches tall. They look quite spindly. This may be because they are...
5
5

Potting mix, no peat
I have been buying Miracle Grow potting mix. Anyone else notice that potting mixes have a great deal of wood chips and no peat moss? The wood chips decompose, draw nitrogen and encouraging small gnats...
7
7

Large Spider
I photographed this spider in my yard several days ago. What is its name? - large file. http://shmsoft.com/yosef/Cat-Face%20Spider%20with%20Nikon%20D70/DSC_0348.JPGNote
3
3

Radishes. . .
Radishes are supposed to be so easy and quick to grow that Fourth Grade students use them as science projects. But in that field, I flunk. For years I've planted radish seeds -- in every place, in...
6
6

snow peas
I've planted a row of snow peas along the back edge of my garden, a little midday shade there. Now, I have little gardening experience and none with any peas. It's rained hard and most of my 5" to 6"...
1
1

Planting for privacy and peace of mind
QUESTION: =93I am wanting to plant something around one end of my pool for privacy. My only concern is that the plants should not have a very big root system due to it being around 2 =96 3 feet from...
3
3

Naughty mulch?
From our city's free mulch web page: "For example, after leaves are collected at curbside, they are treated and offered to the public as compost. Holiday trees are sent through a wood chipper and...
10
10

Sad news here today - local death
Some sad news here today. A worker at the local brewery, and irishman by the name of paddy, drowned in a beer vat. Apparently he was inspecting the vat and somehow lost his footing and fell in....
1
1