Subject Author Posted Replies

New forum member in need of weed control assistance
Hi, I'm new to the forum and am perhaps being a little lazy really by not searching for previous posts to help with my problem. I thought that by asking afresh as it were it might kick start my...
6
6

Bark eaten off apple tree - advice?
We have an 8 year old Macintosh apple tree that has been bearing beautifully for several years. Now, this winter, we see that something (rabbits we suspect) has eaten the bark off 6-8 inches up from...
13
13

Jet Star Tomatoes
Last season I put out eight different varieties of tomatoes all hybrids. Jet Star won hands down as far as production and a very nice slicing tomato that we enjoyed. This season I plan to have a few...
4
4

Unknown Plant (again)
Can anyone identify this plant? It came up in a germination cell that should have been onions. Plant folder First pic upper left. I'm thinking epazote, but I've never grown it before.
10
10

Silver birch vandalism
I have two silver birch trees side by side (about 3 ft apart). There is a small block of flats next to our house and last summer a resident from that block took it upon themselves to lop my silver...
2
2

Pruning night blooming jasmine
My night blooming jasmine is in the Houston area, in a large pot, is about 4' tall and is just now starting to show some new leaves - although rather few. Despite being brought in to the garage when...
1
1

Germination
Huh? It has been nearly 4 weeks since I started my last tray of seeds to germinate. Yellow wax peppers came up after 5 days, then a couple of Portofino squash, and so on and so forth, and for the last...
4
4

Using Newspapers As A Source Of Brown Material For Composting
I have a Tumbleweed composter and last year when brown material was scarce, I shredded many newspapers and used them in the composter. I won't make that mistake again. They just balled up in large...
3
3

Transplanting Worms To Your Garden Bed
Here in PA we have large worms we call nightcrawlers. Many people say that rototilling kills many worms in your garden bed and I can understand that. But if the rest of your lawn is loaded with worms,...
1
1

Human Urine As A Source Of Nitrogen
Well here in PA, I don't have any lemon trees but I think the experiment was conducted using tomato plants and we have plenty of them. But then I also understand that too much nitrogen produces a huge...
25
25

Dehydrated Cow Manure
The cow manure you buy in 40 pound bags at hardware stores, I'm thinking of adding to my vegetable bed. I'm wondering if it will burn my young plants? I want to till it into the soil along with some...
7
7

Identify ground cover
I have a volunteer ground cover that I cannot identify. I also do not have a functional camera in order to post a picture. Given the size of the features I would need a pretty good macro lens to show...
8
8

My First Tilling Experience
We had several warm days as well as nights above freezing so yesterday I went out and pushed a spade deep into the sod. No longer frozen or wet to the point where the soil couldn't be worked. I edged...
6
6

Resurrecting a hedge trimmer
I've accidentally cut through the power cord of my mum's Black and Decker hedge trimmer thingy and just wondered if anyone knows if its possible to replace the lead or do I have to go and buy a new...
9
9

Groundcovers can replace lawns… and mowing
Is there a groundcover that doesn=92t need mowing, is kid-friendly but uninhabited by critters and insects? That=92s a tall order as this reader finds out=85 QUESTION: =93We recently moved and...
2
2