Subject Author Posted Replies

Lessons learned about Raspberries
Last spring I planted 6 bare root raspberries and found out to late they were planted to deep, all died. This year, planted 6 bare root and it looks like at least five will live. I had to replant some...

When to Plant Tomatoes?
I get asked all the time for advice on when the perfect time is to plant tomatoes so I thought I would share with all of you what I've learned. A lot of gardening sites will give you a specific date,...
4
4

One for David
3 blokes get struck down with a brain tumour and need urgent surgery which involves removing 1/2 of their brain. The surgery goes ahead and each man is taken to intensive care for recovery. Within...

Pinching out annual seedlings
Hi Folks This is my first you pinch out the growing tip of ALL annuals to encourage bushiness Thanks Jemo
7
7

Peach trees
Are they self pollinating? I am considering adding one to the back yard. I would like for it to bear fruit.
5
5

Short Film
Hello members, My name is Harry Farnham and I am in the process of researching a short film called 'Lawn & Order.' We are looking for contributors to star in a short film that will hopefully serve as...
1
1

Where to buy quailty turf online?
Hi, Can anyone recommend any online retailers that sell quality turf at good prices? Cheers
2
2

Weed Identification
Hello, I have a weed in my garden which I am struggling to identify. I would like to know if anyone can be of assistance. It has a linear cotyldeon leaf, a red stem up to the cotyledon leaf and then...
2
2

ground cover problem
Hi, I have a slope approx 10 yards by 20 yards. It was originally covered in heavy brush and some broken pine trees that had been there for over 20 years. I had it cleared down to basic pine needle...
5
5

Crop Rotation For The Home Gardener
I was just reading in another group where crop rotation for the home gardener really doesn't help much in preventing plant diseases. The reasoning behind this thought is that the average home gardener...
4
4

How do you plant grapes in CLAY?
I need to transplant my grape vines,or lose them. The soil is clay, and a simple hole will just form a grape killing water tub. I was thinking of making a log liner with Osage pieces and going above...
6
6

leaf litter mulch
If there is one thing I have a lot of, it's decomposing leaf litter (aside from shade and pine straw). I've never thought of using this as a mulch (I'm more concerned with moisture retention than weed...
6
6

Community Garden Question
I visited a start up "community" garden run by non gardeners. Apparently this will be designed as a teaching garden for kids. They are about 9 raised beds built of cinder blocks, ~ 4' * 3'. Water will...
4
4

Please ID These Flowers
Walking in my neighborhood last week, I happened up on the small flowers (roughly the size of pansies) in the linked photo. Most of them were swarming with bees, no doubt in part because of their...
1
1

Help with planting ideas!
Hi all First post and new to gardening etc but learning a lot fast. I have just landscaped my back garden with the aim of making it more manageable. What I have left to allow myself to plant is 4...