Subject Author Posted Replies

Grow your own fresh air
I know in the past they were postings of best indoor plants. While watching a selection of short videos on TED the five minute lecture came up. I thought you might enjoy as well.

Blue Coating On Cantaloupe Seeds
Last Sunday I started my garden seeds indoors. When I opened the pack of cantaloupe seeds, the first thing I noticed that they were a bright blue in color. Today (Wed.) they have already germinated...
3
3

which hedge to plant?
Hi I would really appreciate some help in deciding what type of hedge to plant as a boundary hedge between us and the neighbours. The hedge needs to be as dense as possible to give us some privacy...
11
11

The Battle for Biodiversity
The Battle for Biodiversity: Monsanto and Farmers Clash By ANNA LAPPÉ MAR 28 2011, 12:48 PM ET Does genetic modification lead to more and better crops? Or will it destroy the foundations of our food...
3
3

Starting seeds in agar or gelatin?
I have some very old pepper seeds that I'm trying to grow mostly for a seed crop to keep the variety going. I've planted them twice already; I put them in a damp paper towel on a heated bathroom...
9
9

Japanese Knotweed?
Hi there, I have a Japanese knotweed problem in my area, but am alarmed to see a huge number of seedlings popping up in the garden. I'm not sure they are Japanese Knotweed though, in fact I'm leaning...
4
4

Robin nesting in tricky spot
The North American Robin is what is known as a 'shelf nester' and, as you've seen they really seem to love porch lights. Although the location seems clumsy to you the parents will probably do just...
2
2

Are my Canterury Bells (Campanula Medium) dead?
Last year I bought 5 Canterbury Bells plants which were fairly well established and already flowering. I never got around to planting them in the ground so I tried to keep them well protected (from...
1
1

Hydrangeas - brown leaves, bugs etc
Hello all, For a few weeks my small potted hydrangeas have taken a turn for the worst. Their leaves have started browning; some turning 'crisp', and some turning 'soggy' - so I'm not clear whether I'm...

strange fungus in my indoor pots
Hi everybody, Some strange fungus has invaded my indoor plants (see attached). A few hours of googling did not bring me to a conclusive answer of what it might. be. I'm not even sure it's necessay to...
20
20

What's Your Favorite Hybrid Tomato To Grow?
I was just wondering what your favorite hybrid tomato is that you grow??? Here in central PA, Jet Star does very well for me. For some strange reason, I never had much luck growing Early Girl. The...
4
4

Foxglove plants
Yesterday I planted a packet of foxglove plants in my garden, and today my neighbor was telling me that all parts of the Foxglove plant is poisonous. He went on to tell me a number of horror stories...
6
6

Surfinia Petunia hanging basket
I have 2 14" hanging baskets and want to have a very 'full' rounded look to my baskets this summer. I would love to know how many plants and the spacing to achieve the look like the ones in this pic!...

New to Gardening...
Hi all, I've just moved into a relatively new build home (2 years old) and have decided to attempt to create a vegetable patch. The actual area of garden is raised from the house level and is...
4
4

Araucaria Puzzle?
Firstly hello one and all! I am hoping for some help with a question I got asked today which I am not really sure about. A customer of mine has a fairly small (6-7 foot) Araucaria Araucana which got...
3
3