Subject Author Posted Replies

question about worm castings
thinking of purchasing a couple hundred pound of worm castings for fertilizing vegetable garden........worms are fed peat.......I understand peat is somewhat acidic, could this be a problem?
13
13

Hydrogen peroxide
Treated some overwatered, root mite and gnat infested houseplants with the commonly recommended 1:4 ratio H2O2 : water mix after first letting them dry out for a couple of days. Damn if it didn't...
2
2

seeds
Going to try and start some hot pepper seeds again this year. Last year near the beginning I got lots of mold. I also did not soak. Took over 6 weeks before I goy any sprouts. Too cool downstairs. I'm...
6
6

Fertilizing
That has always been my weak point. I know (barely) not to fertilize when plants are dormant, but I always stumble when, e.g., to fertilize my roses after mid-January pruning. I have two young fruit...
3
3

What climbing vines/flowers to use on pillars at front of house????
Hi all. Long time reader, first time poster..... I've got a question that I'm hoping the knowledgable people on this forum may be able to help with... At the front of my house I've got 2 steel pillars...
4
4

Montbretia (crocosmia?) gone mad!
Anyone got any tried and tested methods to rid an area off these plants and corms please? All around tree and shrub/hedging too. Lovely orange flowers but now just a jungle and invasive. My idea was...
5
5

Wildlife Gardener Business idea
I have been working as a countryside warden for the council for about 3 years now and am considering starting my own business as a 'Wildlife Gardener', working in peoples gardens. My thinking is that...
2
2

Help! Can anyone identify this mystery plant growing in my indoor garden?
I have a small collection of plants which i grow indoors as I live in the UK and most of the plants are tropical/require warm climates. One of the plants I grow is a small catnip ("catmint") plant....
37
37

Seed Starting, Japanese Maples and Sweet Pickles.
Lots of gardening based reading to keeping you busy and dreaming of spring at The Green Thumb Alliance. Here are just five (5) of the many great articles recently posted at the TGTA. Please Enjoy and...

Mushrooms on plum tree
My mum has an old plum tree in her garden, probably 20 years or more old. It has always produced loads of fruit until a so-called tree surgeon hacked it back early this year. It's been pretty grim...
6
6

Pole Saw Advice
Hello All, I need to cut four small hazelnut trees growing on an embankment near my house. From what I can judge they are around 2-3m in height and the thickest branches are around 30-40mm in...
12
12

did you any one hear Apollo series LED grow lights?
Hi,everybody,did you hear Apollo series LED grow lights this product in China? and the company name is cidly company? do you know? tks
2
2

Transplanting carrots
I just harvested some carrots which I had earlier transplanted. They seemed to do very well. But what's weird is that these carrots had "hair" all down the length of them. Is that normal for a...
14
14

winter is approaching.
Winter is approaching , which means you can?t grow fresh herbs and vegetables in your outdoor garden. Even your houseplants may suffer from inadequate sunlight. The solution is the LED Grow Light with...
11
11

Eco gardens
Hey, what's everyone's thoughts on Eco gardens? I have recently come across 'John Walker's' ( articles and I've found them particularly insightful, especially 'The carbon conundrum | John Walker’s...