borer resistant squish

just reading along in another forum and came across this and thought i would post it here for T.

Tromboncino (a.k.a Zucchetta Rampicante)

a very long squash, can be harvested young and used like zukes, but also runs a long vine which will root at the junctions so it is resistant to squash borer damage.

if left to grow long it also is a winter squash. once it hits seed stage the vine will stop producing so have to keep it picked.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

also named in that thread were rumbo squash which i've never heard of and haven't grown.

the butternut or buttercup squash we grow here are somewhat resistant in that they may get borer damage but they will keep going. a few of the plants may die, but not all.

now that we've got cross-breeds and seeds harvested from several years they seem to be resistant enough.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

We've been growing butterscotch squash for a couple of years; like butternut, but a richer taste and not fibrous.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Pavel314 wrote: ...

ours are some kind of cross breed, looks like between buttercup and common pumpkin, but not sure. Mom likes 'em so we'll keep growing them.

i miswrote butternut in last past. we grew those years ago but we like buttercup much more.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I love squash, but can't seem to ever get much fruit because the borers always kill the plants right about the time the fruit just gets started producing. I only have a few small raised beds, so can't really plant a lot in hopes I'll still get some the borers missed.

Any ideas how to beat the borers?

Reply to
Muggles

Muggles wrote: ...

with limited space, start your plants early enough that they can get a good stem on them before planting them out.

depending upon where you are at there are ways of planting earlier or later to avoid some of the damage but i think it helps more to just plant vines that can survive the damage.

from other posts in this thread give buttercup or rumbo a try. if you want ones that are like zuchini try the other one mentioned: Tromboncino (a.k.a Zucchetta Rampicante), pick early, they can get long... :)

as far as picking off bugs, sprays and such, i've never actually done that. the vines here get chewed pretty well, a few don't survive, most do. i'm not sure if it would help to put a paper bag over them with a few holes for just the stem and leaves to poke through while they are growing. perhaps by the time the bags break down the stem will be bigger and stronger. not having tried this i can't say much else than sometime i may try it if i can remember. more likely i'll forget about this by next spring/ summer...

i think i'll continue with the general trend i'm on which is to keep growing them and not babying them too much so that the weaklings get taken out and the stronger survive.

i may look into other resistant types some time if it seems to be worth a try. right now we are finishing off the last few dozen of the squash we picked last fall and they're very yum.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I haven't heard of putting a paper bag over the stems before. It might be worth a try, tho. thanks for the idea!

Reply to
Muggles

Nice thread! Thanks for the advice from me too. I love squash but never had much luck with it. Hope to stand a better chance next time :)

Reply to
Will-helm89

Not finding it on

Does it have other names?

Not friendly to Diabetics. :'(

Hi Songbird,

Per serving: 307 calories (percent of calories from fat, 53), 15 grams protein, 22 grams carbohydrates, 3 grams fiber, 18 grams fat (11 grams saturated), 104 milligrams cholesterol, 576 milligrams sodium

This is definitely NOT diabetic friendly. Rats!!!

Thank you for thinking of me anyway. It is very much appreciated. :-)

Death to squash bugs! Death to earwigs! Death to Weeds!

Over three years drug free now. Thriving, not just surviving!

-T

you are quoting a recipe with milk, cheese, butter, flour, milk and onion added. not just the plain squash...

those numbers looked so "off" to me that i had to go check it out. and yes, i was right, those are not plain veggie numbers.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

not likely given how "rich" they seem to me when eating them, but the other Trombonico may work.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

There is no problem with eating either in moderation. You should consult with a diabetic dietician before trying to scare folks off particular foods.

Diabetics, depending on type of disease and status of control, can react uniquely to individual items. Personal testing is necessary to determine how any particular food affects BG levels. This can get more complicated when one eats a variety of foods together, as some combos can help eliminate spikes.

Reply to
Boron Elgar

My bad. I will keep looking to see if I can find nutrition data on them by themselves.

T wrote: ...

i looked for a bit today and could not find anything clearly marked for that particular squash, but i would not be too surprised if it is similar in nutrition as zukes or any of the other summer squash.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

You are correct. All summer squash are basically the same. Winter squash, on the other hand, are toxic to diabetics.

Please stop your nonsense.

Boron Elgar

Bullshit. Sorry,but this idiocy and misinformation you post earn you a rare spot in the KF.

Talk about fake news.

Reply to
Boron

And now we know why one out of eleven of us have T2 Diabetes, when it use to be relatively unheard of. We are being poisoned by an unnatural diet.

I stand behind everything I said.