Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Adding hair to a compost pile
Question: Is it ok to add hair to a compost pile? I'm talking about dog hair, cat hair, and human hair. Has anyone done it? Does anyone have cites about it? Thanks, Dick
4
4

The season starts.
Today I sowed seeds for 72 Granex onions, 36 Red Burgundy onions and 36 shallots. They are in the greenhouse which is heated. I will start some beets, chard, broccoli and cabbage in the next few days....
5
5

homemade coldframe
I have just acquired some old bricks. I thought I would make myself a cold frame on my allotment. Can anyone give sme advise on the size plz. I am Klingon at 3-5 bricks high
4
4

the upside of wormlife
like many people i'm sure you think of worms as what they do down below or at the surface of the soil. a few people might think of them as living in the leaf piles and in parts of logs that are...
7
7

My local Kmart
Has Burpee seeds on sale for 40% off .Yours might too . Sale includes their line of heirloom seeds , I got some Touchon carrots and Brandywine Pink tomatoes . Plus some other stuff not marked as...
8
8

Composting horse manure?
I have always heard that cow manure is vastly better for gardening than horse manure, but I do have a neighbor with a horse. What if I composted the horse manure and allowed it to age for a year or...
28
28

Small space gardening
Grabbed this link from another group I read , thought it might be of interest to some here . Take up a square-foot garden by creating an organized garden plan that ensures proper spaces and you’ll...
3
3

Asparagus help
OK, so after 30 years, it's time to replace the aging asparagus bed. I'm both cheap and optimistic, so plan to start from seed, started in the greenhouse, to a nursery bed, to their final home next...
3
3

A Question of Tenderness
Of those who successfully cultivate them I'm asking how cold-hardy (or, alternatively, how frost-tender) are Swiss chard (yes, I know it's beets) and garden-variety spinach? To what low temperatures...
5
5

seeds
Going to try and start some hot pepper seeds again this year. Last year near the beginning I got lots of mold. I also did not soak. Took over 6 weeks before I goy any sprouts. Too cool downstairs. I'm...
6
6

Green House
Our winter here are 4 double hung windows 46 x 66, a door with the top half glass, a small window for the side of that and a roof window. All for $400.00. We are going to sell the current green house...
4
4

Seed Starting, Japanese Maples and Sweet Pickles.
Lots of gardening based reading to keeping you busy and dreaming of spring at The Green Thumb Alliance. Here are just five (5) of the many great articles recently posted at the TGTA. Please Enjoy and...
2
2

Straw Bale Gardening
Anyone here into straw bale gardening? Like to read opinions on it before I try it. Dick
21
21

Here We go Again
Damn Deer came up on my porch and ate every stinking one of my Panseys. Took them out of the pots and left them on the concrete. There are woods all around us, why won't they leave me alone?????????
6
6

Tomato Question
I have a few tomatoes that have "crackeled" skin. What would cause this? Is doesn't seem to bother the inside. I just can't figure out what could cause it.
13
13