Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Everything else is early,
So why not the bugs? I found the first two Mexican bean beetles today. They met with an untimely end or perhaps that was timely?
8
8

Garden Bloopers What's Your Best Story
I'll play Recently I mixed up my weed killer with my keep the deer our of my rose bed stuff. Sure was a close one. I have a lot of time and money invested in these roses and I would have been really...
5
5

fertilizer how and when
By and large these don't require much in the way of fertilizer or water (except for the basil) Tomatoes, bell pepper, & chillis are heavey feeders. See below. All look relatively safe. Too much urine...
3
3

Stem Rot (Southern Blight)
I'm wondering how to get rid of 'southern Blight' or Stem Rot. I'm trying to grow some tomato plants in pots, and have noticed that there is a white 'fluff' on the stem of one of them. The bottom...
1
1

suckers on grape vines
I've noticed lately that my fairly young grape vine is producing suckers at the crotches of leaves/branches. Are they worth leaving

Scientists trial lasers to replace pesticides
Researchers in Germany are working on an alternative to poisonous herbicides. They're aiming lasers at weeds. A team of scientists at Leibniz University and a laser center in Hanover are developing an...

How to harvest herbs correctly
So, I am growing a few herbs in containers. My first attempt! I have Basil, and chives, Rosemary and Mint. My question relates to how you harvest them. Is it better to take the new shoots and leaves...
1
1

Gardener's Worst Sin
I mixed up the "Keep the Deer Away" concentrate with "Kill all the Weeds" concentrate. By the grace of Mother Nature I switched the mix AFTER I had sprayed the Roses with correct sprayer. I was just...
12
12

Clabbering
Great book called " The art of fermentation" by Sandor Ellix Katz Isbn 978-1-60358-286-5 Forward by Michael Pollan Subtitle "An in-depth exploration of essential concepts and processed from around the...

Something is wrong with my Basil
Hi all, first post here, and my first attempt at growing Basil in a container. It's been doing well for a couple of months. A few seeds grew about 6 inches high, and had loads of leaves that looked...
3
3

The Horn Worms are Back
I have caught it quickly so no real harm done but her my question.... It seems like I read to take a flash light to the plants after dark and the worm will "glow". Am I correct or did I dream this up?...
5
5

some plantings in
waylaid recently, but we finally got the tomatoes, peppers and last of the big onions planted. ~240lbs of worms/worm poo from 10 bins used up, looked great: getting kinda lonely in here with only a...

Ants
I have ants all over my squash. I have tried Seven Dust but it doesn't seem to be working? Can I use real killer stuff and still eat the squash or should I just ignore them? They are fire ants so...
3
3

Burpee Sale
Through tomorrow there is no shipping charge. Use the promo code FS146 at checkout. There were a couple of seeds I can't usually find around here so it was a good chance to get them without paying...
16
16

1st time kale grower
I'm growing kale for the first time this year (I'm quite a beginner - last year was my first year trying to grow anything) and have just recently taken advantage of the warm spell we're having here in...
1
1