Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

The benefit of spreading your genestock around...
Last winter I killed all my tarragon. French, does not make seeds, you need a division or sprig. Ever since I got it started, I've been foisting splits off on people - tarragon likes to be dug up and...

sweetcorn help
It could be birds or rodents too. D
2
2

New veg patch
I'm a total novice and I'm thinking of growing some veg. Any advice what I should start with. What's easy to grow etc?
15
15

North Facing Window to Grow From
I have no garden space to grow in and I really want to grow some berries and veg so I was going to use my bedroom window which sadly is north facing, it is an average/small window would I still be...
3
3

Wanted free seeds for Middlesbrough community allotments
Has anyone any information on sites or places to get free seeds ? Vegetables fruits trees or flowers would be exellent for the current project being ran in middlesbrough :) thankyou !

Japanese egg plant recipes?
We happened to get a couple of mystery plants amongst our Hungarian (hot banana) pepper seedling purchase this spring. After fruiting and much googling found that they are Japanese egg plants. Hadn't...
5
5

taking a break
for a few days from picking and canning... remind me next time there's a drought to not say anything about not getting enough rain... songbird http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_7059_Glug.jpg
6
6

Even more tomatoes
Today DH & I picked 103 pounds of tomatoes, mostly Viva Italia. Looks like I will be busy canning for a while. That makes 287 pounds so far this season. And the season is not over.
4
4

First asparagus
It is still officially winter here but I cut the first asparagus of the season here on Saturday. There was only about 15 stalks so at a dinner party for 6, three hours later, they went in a flash....
2
2

First Broad Bean
Yesterday, I noticed my first broad bean (fava in USian?) of the season popping it's head up. Must plant the next lot in a few days. I love new, tiny broad beans.
6
6

japanese beetles, selecting for smarter jbs, etc.
today wandering around checking things out in a spot i hadn't looked for a few days previous i noticed that the japanse beetles had finally found the soybeans. they usually are flying around here or...
5
5

purslane, revisited
For those who encourage (or tolerate) purslane, what do you do at the end of the season? Specifically, turn it under, or pull it? (Or anything else, for that matter.) My understanding is that it...
3
3

I found a turtle
in the garden today. It is now 2 streets over in the field of tobacco. Now to see if it has friends and family.

Pruning summer squash?
My yellow crookneck squash have overrun and killed my green beans, and they are threatening my tomatoes and okra. If I cut them back, will they branch back out like pumpkins, or will it kill them to...
1
1

Watermelon
I've never grown watermelon before, but I took the plunge this year (Petite Yellow from Seed Savers). The first melon is getting to softball sized and I realize that I don't know how to tell when a...
3
3