Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Carrots!
I just harvested mine ... and wonder why a few of them have those lengthwise splits . Is that caused by variations in watering ? These have been pretty much left on their own since I began spending a...
3
3

Gurney's Farmer With Pipe
My wife and I were discussing our garden plans for next spring and I mentio= ned something about the image of the old farmer smoking a pipe who appeared= in the Gurney catalogues years ago. She didn't...
1
1

Starting again after THRIPS and tomato spotted wilt
So, I've just discovered a major infestation of THRIPS has taken over my tomatoes, chillis, and bell peppers, and I've now got 30-odd very poorly plants. Tomato spotted wilt virus has ravaged my small...
3
3

Tomato Plants
I am so excited about my fall crop of tomatoes. The greenhouse is full of 7= feet plants and loaded with tomatoes. I grow them hydroponically and this = time I just used Miracle Grow instead of the...
3
3

Poorly plants... :(
I had several varieties of tomatoes that were all growing really well, until I went on holiday, and decided to bring some seaweed and seashells back with me. I applied them to the garden thinking they...
5
5

Build a cold-storage unit at home (basement)
Hello, It was a dream to my to have one. Thsi is my cold storage unit. To conserve my vegetables from my garden. Pictures of my project: 'Construire une chambre froide au sous-sol, How to build a...
4
4

Need advice on growing tomatoes indoors
Hi, This summer I embarked on growing tomatoes inside from seed - I live in Scotland where harsh weather conditions prevented these from ever going outside. By the end of the summer I had no fruit but...
7
7

Can cats safely eat tomato plants?
took in some late blooming seedlings to protect from the overnight cold and the cat seemed to really want to eat them. I'm not opposed to him eating them as they will probably not make it thru to next...
10
10

Gardening in the desert
I am cross-posting this with the hope that a wider audience will increase the possibility that I may get a fully vetted answer. My wife and I are discussing retiring to somewhere between southern...
1
1

Growing food in old food cans
I've got access to some very large used catering size food oil cans. They are quite colourful and thought it would be fun to grow some veg in them. i've seen this done in South america. But I'm at a...
7
7

Kale
I've heard that if kale is cut back it will grow more readily, but does this apply if it has been cut back to almost the base? It has since started to regrow, but the green growth is not recognisable...
1
1

Garlic planting (with some oddities)
I planted my garlic this week, a bit later than I had planned due to a combination of weather and personal health. The bed had been prepped for a while and by the time I got around to putting in the...
3
3

dry bean rejects, edible
this past season being rather full of strange events meant i had a lot of malformed or partially developed beans in the pods when shelling. the rotted ones or those that were mummies (small,...

Blueberries
I have one blueberry plant which is planted in the top of a planter containing strawberry plants. Each year it gets a reasonable amount of blueberries but they don't ripen. Any ideas why?
7
7

onions (sets, seeds, bunching, starts, chives)
the sets and starts did get a layer of worm poo put underneath them when they were planted (they grew well, very green and healthy). the seeds and bunching onions were planted in sandier soil without...