Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: To warm your snowbound toes
Background information: Rawdon Vale is a district, there is no township there but a handful of farms scattered over the landscape kilometres apart. From the Gloucester Advocate last Wednesday,...
1
1

Ever used a pecan vibrator
I have no idea so this is just a guess but I would think that a slower rate of vibration might to be less damped and get the branches moving better. D
6
6

Training a fan plum
I ordered a 1 year bare rooted maiden plum, which arrived yesterday, and which I intended to grow as a fan. Once opened though, it's more like a typical part trained tree, with quite a thick central...
2
2

The season is starting
Today I set out 144 seeds in the greenhouse. Now I have to remember to keep them watered and make sure the greenhouse door gets open and shut when necessary. May take a few days to get in the habit.
2
2

Grape Tomatos
Does anyone know of a good variety of grape tomatoes ? I have some for the local Pathmark, they are actually very good. I'm thinking of taking the seeds and starting there, But I don't know what...
5
5

Louisiana Evergreen shallots (2023 Update)
Does anybody know where to get a start for these, and how far north will they survive the winters? (I'm in Minnesota now, zone 4) I just (in the past year or two) figured out that the green...
1
1

Another Raspberry Question
While kayaking several years ago, I found red raspberry plants growing wild= on the rock cliffs along the river. They were in the most marginal growing= conditions, with their roots growing into...
4
4

Moving Raspberry canes
Hi,i am having to move some summer fruiting raspberry canes,before i move them ,should i prune the have had the previous fruiting wood cut back at the end of their fruiting season.
2
2

Oak tree and fruit trees
Hello again, i have an issue with little, lime green caterpillars that descend upon my fruit tree sapplings from some mature oaks every season, any idea what they are and how is best to prevent this...

Mini watermelons
I'm growing mini watermelons for the first time and I have a few tiny melons that have set on my vines so in the current heat we are getting I should be able to get them to harvest if I can keep up...
21
21

whacky
we were walking the other day and the weather had been warm and we'd had a decent rain the night before to melt off all the snow and to thaw the ice that had been in the ditches. frogs were out...
8
8

Over Wintering an Habanero Plant
Hi Guys, I have read various articles on how to over winter your chilli plant but to be honest my Habanero are still healthy and producing fruit. The fruit is ripening when they are tiny though and...
8
8

Peppers
I started my peppers this morning. I am not putting my usual way too many p= lants this year. I found some in the freezer yesterday from 2010. I had som= e pretty good success last year with Bells for...
4
4

soil testing
Hello, I have a large pile of ash from burning leaves, wood, limbs, pine straw etc, and I've read that ash can be helpful to plants if my soil ph is not over 7.5. My questions is, how do you test your...
3
3

Winter Reading For the Garden
Here in upstate NY the seed catalogs have started showing up big time, but = I usually try to read a couple of new gardening books, Does anyone here hav= e any recommendations? I just got a copy of...