Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Plum Trees
Last year I purchased a plum tree from the local grocery store, no leaves o n it at the time. Planted it in black clay laden soil. 1 year later I have a tree that went from 5.5 ft to 6.5 ft., didn't...
1
1

Shhhh
Plants are listening to you: Plants can hear and feel their attackers, scientist says

More green beans
Put up five more pints of green beans this afternoon plus have another pint uncooked for our dinner tonight. I'm really liking the variety we planted this year. Kentucky Blue, from Territorial Seed....
1
1

Bloomin' Maters and other matters
I noticed today when I was checking the garden that I have a few blossoms on some tomato plants . The cherry toms have more than the rest , but a few on my Mortgage Lifters , and looks like the...
1
1

potting soil question
Hi All, Not to ask too stupid a question, but when you put potting soil in a pot, do you put it in loose or do you pack it down? Many thanks, -T
7
7

Tomatillo seed question
Hi All, I just bought a packet of 30 Tomatillo seeds from Baker Heirloom Seeds. I am going to try planting them in little pots with this wonderful organic potting soil I have. Then transferring them...
4
4

Tomatillo question
Hi All, I was thinking of growing some Amarylla Tomatillos: Question: if I also plant some purple Tomatillos from the local nursery, will the cross pollination between the two be a problem? Will I...
13
13

Walmart Asparagus
The last three springs I've bought Asparagus crowns from Walmart. The first time, none grew. Last year two of twelve grew, but died during winter. This year it looks like one will grow. When will I...
14
14

Delicious
The strawberries are ripening even as I type . Already picked a couple-three quarts , and there's lots more . This is what strawberries are *supposed* to taste like . I'm so glad I restrained myself...

sprouts, bergamot, topsoil, etc.
some of the onions and flax have started to show up. will have to get out and get some peas and other early annuals planted in the next few weeks before the main plantings of the more frost intolerant...

Any of you CA guys getting any rain?
Its been raining here in Northern Nevada off and on for the paste few days. Means there is enough power in the storm to overcome the rain shadow effect. You guys in California getting any significant...
1
1

if this doesn't make you want to grow your own...
i dunno what it would take. i'd never even heard of lupine flour before, and even if i had i'd never think of it with respect to a peanut allergy (and that's only part of the story). songbird
6
6

a new worm farm
some friends in a local small town nearby keep me in mind when they have extra stuff from making wood for their wood burner... the other day i finish my chores for the morning and am just sitting down...
6
6

High-pitched beep solar garden guard gdimport. High beep from unit
The elderly in particular use a cat-deterrent in their garden. It is a small apparatus with a speaker attached to it. It produces a high-pitched bleep of more than a 100 decibel. The sound is mostly...

Harvest
Harvested three sweet chiles yesterday and just picked six yellow summer squash today. Looks like stir fry for dinner tonight.
10
10