Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Preservation equipment question
I bought a dehydrator to preserve veggies and meats . I'm wondering if there's a way to keep the trays from getting nasty . I ask because I borrowed one from my neighbor and the trays had a build up...
5
5

Finally
Just about O dark thirty we gratefully received about half an inch of rain in less than an hour. Weather folk keep saying more is coming but I haven't seen anymore. It's amazing how much the plants...
6
6

Heat
It's 102F on the back porch (west facing) at the moment and I've got the shades pulled down out there since about 1400. Supposed to top at 104F with a heat index of 113 or 114. Thank goodness for air...
2
2

what's up
many years ago Ma planted some flowers that were supposed to repel mosquitoes. it also happens to be able to spread more than we'd like. inside the fenced gardens it was taking over six different...
28
28

What will we have underneath?
I have three potato plants in tubs and the tops are now about 3 ft high with plenty of flowers and the poisonous 'Green Tomatoes'. Does the prolific foliage and flowers on top indicate a massive crop...
5
5

OT Iris from seed? OT
I let the yellow Iris here form seed pods , and today I harvested a few seeds . Anybody ever propagate these from seed rather than bulb division ?
4
4

got some Zukes!
Hi All, Last weekend I got six zukes off of 10 plants, plus a small eggplant. Both went straight to the pan in about 20 minutes. Olive oil Oregano Zukes (mine) Egglant (mine) Garlic (mine) Onion...

clover, weeds
Clover 'fixes' nitrogen, which is a good thing to do. My first question is, does this help nearby plants while the clover is growing, or does the clover first need to be turned under, and then...
3
3

'Maters looking up
A few days of sunshine , after an application of fish emulsion and some epsom salts (one tbsp spread around under each) seems to have perked up my ailing tomatoes . I'm seeing new growth and fewer...

very few bumble bees
we did see some earlier in the season, but now i'm not seeing them around much at all. even the smaller bumble bees are few. that said the squash plant blooms are still looking to being fertilized and...
5
5

Damned Leaf Spot
Sigh. It seems that I get a second year of tomato leaf spot. At least I think I recognized it earlier this year than last. The plants still look vibrant. And I know not to get lax about respraying...
22
22

OT - gardening tip
A beautiful woman loved growing tomatoes but couldn't seem to get them to turn red. One day, while taking a stroll, she came upon a gentleman neighbor who had the most beautiful garden full of huge...

Squash bugs
Hi, I have insects eating the leaves from my squash. Have only tried manually s quishing them, but that is very labour intensive, but if I miss a couple of days, the leaves are destroyed. I would like...

Garlic stems turning yellow
Hi everyone. Im hoping someone can help me. I planted garlicfor the first time last fall. They did good until the stems started turning yellow and some have yellow streaks going through the stems, the...
2
2

carrot and radish tops
Hi All, Before planting, I dig radish and carrots greens from store bought organic produce. Now that my little garden is in full swing, I am not going to be digging anything under. Is there any reason...
8
8