Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Deer and gardens
Are not a good mix . Went out last night to water , found the tops of many of the field peas nibbled off . I bought an electric fence setup , but haven't taken time to install it . Gotta get on that...
20
20

Am I overdoing it?
Hi All, The guy that gave me the free eggplant, sold me a squirt bottle of organic fertilizer. Said his customers had great success with it. (Plus he gave me a free $30 eggplant.) Six squirts per...
1
1

free plants
Hi All, I was at a customer site yesterday when the local potted plant grower came by to pick up his unsold plants. Now I can't sprout anything as the accursed earwigs eat them. So no eggplant this...

Pumpkins Running
My pumpkins started running today, June 30. We're in Maryland, north of Baltimore. Paul

i forgot to say how the
worm buckets went this season... in total i put about 280lbs of worms/ worm pee/worm poo out into the gardens when i was planting (and another 40lbs went to the friend's garden). then i had to restart...
12
12

garlic beds?
Hi All, I was thinking of digging up a spot in my garden, burring a bunch of weeds and melon rinds I have been saving in the freezer, waiting till the first freeze, then replanting garlic. Good idea?...
6
6

When to harvest shallots?
Hi All, When is it time to harvest shallots? When the tops die? -T
16
16

fertilizer?
Hi All, I am about to sprinkle Dr Earth's organic all purpose fertilizer on my children. I don't know what I am doing. Just sprinkle and water? A little water? Water like hell? Many thanks, -T
2
2

Garlic: when to replant?
Hi All, I am about to pick my garlic. 1) when do I replant? 2) can I replant in the same place or do I have to let the soil rest a season? Many thanks, -T
7
7

When to pick garlic?
Hi All, First I picked off sprits from my garlic (yummy!). Now all of the tops have slowly died. Is it time to harvest? Does garlic require much water? Many thanks, -T
4
4

Death to Earwigs!
Hi George and eFriends, In my ongoing fight with swarms of earwigs, I have some progress to report. And maybe this will help George with his stink bugs. Yesterday, I filled my Smith 190285 spray...
5
5

bees still alive
i plugged them up in the garden shed for the past four days with no access to water or the outside and sucked up all the returning foragers in the vaccume... Ma had to get in there for something and...
19
19

strawberry season pretty much over :(
hardly any rains for the past few months. the harvest was enough for us to put some jam and frozen berries in the freezer, have a few rounds of shortcakes and i gave about 10lbs away to my brother and...

Needle Grass ID
One of my pastures is being taken over by a type of grass that grows in clu mps about a foot across. The grass looks like a thin knitting needle, about two feet high with a pointed tip. There are...
2
2

Stink bugs
Stink bugs are messing up the tomatoes big time. Put out some containers of water under each bush this morning, hoping the !@#$ bugs drown. Put a little cooking oil in each container, also hoping that...
16
16