Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

More rain
Got up at 0600 this morning and a gentle rain was falling. Garden and flowers all are perking up again and the grass is getting tall. We're grateful for the gentle rain instead of a hellacious rain...

sunflower question
HI All, My neighbor grew sunflowers last year (this year too). Two of his last years seeds took root in my back yard. I now have two sunflower about 5 feet tall. One has a normal looking flower at is...
2
2

Pears
Miz Anne and I picked the pears day before yesterday, she made a LOT of pear jelly, a rich golden color and very tasty. Today, around lunch, I put up 7 quarts of pear sauce, the only ingredient...
2
2

pawpaw
pawpaw fruit with blackened surface There is a pawpaw tree here with fruit whose skin turns partially black around June. (N. America, Ohio valley) The coating looks like some sort of fungus or...
4
4

should I pull a sick zuke?
Hi All, I have a zuke with short stems (1 to 2") and brittle yellowish leaves. Its leaves crack in half if you attempt to look under them for squash bug eggs. It isn't growing either. Should I pull...
14
14

when mildew isn't mildew
Hi All, I freaked out for no reason on the powder mildew front on my Ronde de Nice Zukes. Turns out that is the way they are suppose to look. That doesn't mean I am home free. Just panicky. (Powder...
1
1

Rain
We had a nice, soft, rain yesterday, last night and most of this morning. About 2.2 inches and everything in the yard seems to be thankful as it is all green and doing well. There are hopes for more...
2
2

Hot
At 6:15pm CST the thermometer on our back porch, in the shade, is showing 101F. I reckon that's as hot as I've seen in several years. We're hiding in the air conditioned house. Gardens will have to...
6
6

Germinate chia seeds in jelly o agar-agar
Good evening,I was wondering if it was posible to sprout chia seeds in agar-agar o fruit jelly.
1
1

Crop Rotation for Pumpkins
I cleared an area last year for pumpkins and winter squash and got a good c rop out of it. I'm using it for the same crops this year and they're doing well so far. Would it be ok to plant the same...
2
2

Last year's peas
The remainder of last year's Red Rippers and WhipPoorWill peas are cooking with some ham from last night for tonight's dinner . Fresh cornbread is in order ... Got RR's and Purple Hulls planted this...
1
1

Zuke update
Hi All, Warning: I am rambling here. Okay, I make up for my black thumb with quantity. I counted my zuke plants. Sixteen of them this year. Five seems to be doing well. And I seem to have the upper...

okay, it is the soil!
Hi All, Lesson learned, maybe. This year for the first time I had reseeded tomatillos sprouting up. Two of the guys seemed rather aggressive and I was wondering if I was going to get some mutant...
10
10

when to pick a pepper
Hi All, No Peter Piper jokes, unless they are funny, the yo have dispensation. I have a Sandia plant (Chimayo or Mew Mexico Red) that is about 12" all and now has two, three inch peppers hanging from...
18
18

'Maters !
Got 7 quarts cooling in the pressure canner as I type , looks like we'll get one or two batches this size every week for a while . I'll be freezing some of the San Marzanos for spaghetti sauce too . I...
16
16