Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Greens
We're getting temps in the mid eighties nowadays so the lettuces, etc. are starting to wilt. Guess we will be back to just eating chard, etc. for summer greens soon. The fruit trees are leafing out...
3
3

Choosing the right topsoil
Hey everyone, so I'm new to gardening, and in need of some tips. I've seen quite a bit around topsoil, but wasn't sure where to get it. It seems quite cheap from places like homebase, but would this...
1
1

Weather
Looks like we're going to get a few days of rain starting today. The rain will be good for our gardens as we have had some sporadic light rains this spring. Temperatures are warming almost daily and...
6
6

Hanging gardens vs rabbits
Hi folks, I apologize in advance if this seems like a silly question. My wife and I are thinking of setting up a hanging herb garden in our back yard this year, but neither of us has experience in...
3
3

Finally !
I've been trying for 4 years now to get anaheim pepper seeds to germinate . Got up this morning and looked , one's peeping it's little self up out of the potting soil . This year I used a heat mat...
1
1

Too early , wayyyyy too early
My Red Haven peach tree is already making flowers ... last frost here is not for another 6 weeks , looks like I'll be keeping a close eye on the thermometer . The trees all have a (concrete...
3
3

Spring garden
The spring garden is doing well and we're still planting some vegetables as we clear the fall groceries. The kumquat, pear, and fig trees are all recovering nicely from a two day freeze earlier in...

It's a nice spring day
We're enjoying a nice spring day today, high temp of 80F, a nice breeze and nearly time to plant the spring garden. We're about done with our fall garden with a few cabbage and cauliflower left to...
1
1

Pruning ...
I figgered I better do some , fruit trees and a couple of rose bushes being the objective . Fruit trees are 3 years old and have been really slow getting going , but this year they all (but the pie...

Spring - Maybe
Noticed this morning returning from my ophthalmology appointment that the oak trees are budding up. The kumquat tree was frost bit last month and has dropped some leaves but is budding out again. The...
5
5

Root Balls
I read somewhere that when you plant a (bare root) tree that you should use the same soil that came out of the hole to fill it . The reasoning was that if you use nice soil when the roots hit the edge...
6
6

Finally
Finally found a local store that sells citrus fertilizer, had two hard freezes in two days and the leaves and fruit froze off the kumquat tree. Had been looking locally rather than ordering on line...
2
2

Spring garden
We're looking through the seed catalogs and also going through our collection of seeds kept in the refrigerator. There's not going to be anymore black crowder peas, the seed we got last year gave us...
1
1

Re: How it Is
... not sure how long it takes to nodulate... sweet potatoes are so much better (and the greens too from what i've heard). some year i have to get some sweet tater slips going and see how they do...

Re: [OT] Stuck Indoors?
not too bad today, yesterday was a bit more icy out there so we didn't walk. rained a lot and the ground was frozen so we have puddles waiting to soak in. today we should be getting out for a walk in...
2
2