Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

The Trickle
  Has started . A cucumber here , there a pepper , a couple of tomatoes ... The pepper plants are so loaded I had to stake them and we've already made a batch of pickles . The white greasy beans are...
4
4

How to check health of your garden
Several pairs of tighty-whities planted in Sussex County won’t bear fruit, but in a few weeks they will tell farmers something about the health of the soil.
3
3

Good Year for Cabbage
We had a good year for cabbage so we made 32 pounds of sauerkraut yesterday afternoon. It's been too hot to work in the garden here in the Baltimore area for the last few days, so we work in the early...
1
1

Another Harvest tale
There are 7 quarts and a pint of honey on the shelf from the first super , and 2 more supers awaiting extraction tomorrow . I'm trying to decide how much I need to hold for our use , that will...
1
1

Re: Ping Songbird: what variety of garlic do you grow?
For some reason, your letter decided not to show the second time. Good thing I read it the first time. Rats! You don't know the variety! But that gives me an idea. Now believe it on not with all my...

OT: Lawn Tractor Problem
I had a strange problem while mowing the lawn the other day. While not stri ctly gardening, I thought others on this group might find the story interes ting, or at least humorous. After cutting the...
1
1

Ping Songbird: what variety of garlic do yo grow?
Hi Songbird and Everyone, Burpee's horticulturalist confirmed that my Purple Glazer garlic is a loss for the season and that it was due to a sudden warm spell in May. You live in a hotter climate,...
1
1

Re: Strange arguments cropping up
And you forgot that I'm old and crochety too. Not that there's anything wrong with THAT!

The harvest begins ...
crossposted ...   The garden is beginning to produce stuff now , just picked a couple of yaller squarshes , cucumbers are producing nicely , as are all 3 varieties of beans/field peas . Tomato plants...
8
8

this season's bean planting list
my brother thinks i'm nuts. :) i kept track this year of each garden plot and how many beans of what i planted in each row. unfortunately, i did not mark each individual planting so in some cases i'm...

chop chop
was contemplating yesterday morning and sorta PO'd because i have so much heavy stuff to do but my arm and knee need a break to heal up. except i'm getting fed up already with this idea of not doing...

How it Is
Sunny and raining this morning; briefly cloudy and then clear. Yes, those stories are true: It really _does_ rain from sunny skies on this side of the looking glass. Briefly, clouds move in, keeping...
3
3

watermelon seeds
Hi gardeners! Yesterday I found a very interesting topic on the Internet that watermelon seeds are really healthy. The only think that you need to do is to roast them. It is believed that they have...
2
2

strawberries
i was worried that i wasn't going to have a very good season, but it has turned out better than expected so i'm relieved and have enough freezer jam put up. :) the strawberry patch i took out last...

done planting beans
the other day i finished weeding a part of a garden outside the fenced gardens and planted it. with the recent heat and me really needing to take a break to let various body parts recover i decided...
2
2