Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

(Early) Harvest
Can't remember if I mentioned this here (sorry if I did ;)), but due to circumstances that totally should've been forseen, the garden didn't get watered by our house-watcher while we were away on...
2
2

Scallion, only cheaper!
Hi All, I became time for me to cull my white onions to make room for their bulbs. I have a big bag of them in my refrigerator and cook with them a lot. They are down right yummy! Can't tell them...
4
4

wood chips in garden
Part of my garden has died off . I had a pine tree blow over and used a wood chipper to get rid of most of it. Would it be ok to put lots of those chipe in the garden and use a tiller to put it in a...
1
1

Rutabagas
We had a store-bought yellow waxed Rutabaga that sat on the shelf long enough to sprout. So we cut the top off, rooted it in some water and planted it in the garden. Today, I cut the seeded tops off...
2
2

Help! My bilberries are dying!
Hi All, Four years to get these things to finally flower and show any sign of fruit. Now they are dying on me. They get watered one every other day. No sign of aphids or critters on the underside of...
14
14

today's pic of a bean cross
i planted these on June 8th. most likely (about 99.9%) it is a cross between Purple Dove and Painted Pony. an edible bean too (i sampled one pod to be sure of that). i have two plants at least with...
5
5

Zucchini
It was mentioned on here not long ago about end rot. My zucchini plants took off, and are huge. I picked one over a foot long today that seemed quite solid, but the two others I picked were shorter,...
4
4

garlic harvest
two days ago i got it lifted and cleaned up enough to cure. i'm trying something a bit different to see how it goes. i like to learn new things by changing my methods. even with the long dry spell we...
2
2

Onions from seeds?
Are they one or two year to harvest?
4
4

Of Tomatoes and Light
Hi All, I occasionally take picture of my garden at various point in its lifecycle. I though I was only taking a picture of my first green cherry tomatoes, but when I went to download my picture to my...

Zuke Test
Hi All, Another silly test of mine., Since squash bugs only lay eggs one, it is recommended to plant zukes AFTER the over winter bugs lay their eggs. Typically, I plant my seeds in the middle of May....

scarification: is this a joke?
Hi All, Is this a joke? Birds spread the seeds in the wild, so to start thimbleberry seeds, it?s essential to mimic this and use cold stratification and scarification to germinate the seeds. When the...
17
17

question on bone meal and onions
Hi All, Organic bone meal (phosphorous) promotes flower, fruit set up, and root growth. Question: does the root part apply to the bulb of onions? Many thanks, -T
8
8

Liquid fertilizer question
Hi All, I water my ground pots with a watering want on sprinkle. I picked out a liquid fertilizer that I liked as it had a lower nitrogen and a higher phosphate number (1-3-1). want you to premix 1/2...
8
8

seed planting question
Hi All, I planted a bunch of very small tomatillo seeds this year in my ground pots. And they came up, Yippee! But I did notice something. Some of them came up about 8 to 10 inches away from where I...
2
2