Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

coffee grinds, sodium bicarbonate and other "myths"
For those interested, here is the latest list of Dr. Linda Chalker-Scott's myth articles in the WA Master Gardener mag. Another interesting series is the Garden Professors Blog. her latest is: Sunday...

Trees in the Home Garden
I love the idea of having a few more fruit and perhaps one or two nut trees in my backyard garden. So far two Apple trees an Apricot tree an Olive tree, four Coffee plants and an Orange tree are doing...
5
5

Holiday fun - a quiz on fruits and veges
I made this up for my own amusement and to annoy my family over Christmas dinner so thought I might share. One or two questions are in nearly every trivia list to do with fruits and vegetables. One or...
4
4

For those with moggies in Ole Blighty
The Guardian (U.K.): "A reply to a question in Notes & Queries yesterday recommended purchasing lion and tiger urine from Chester Zoo to stop neighbourhood cats from urinating in a vegetable patch...

Monsanto
INVESTIGATION: Monsanto seed biz role revealed By CHRISTOPHER LEONARD AP Agribusiness Writer © 2009 The Associated Press Dec. 13, 2009, 11:54PM ST. LOUIS ? Confidential contracts detailing Monsanto...
50
50

Angelica
Does anyone have any experience of grwoing Angelica? I have a small plant in a pot and want to plant it out in the garden. I assume by the look of it that it will like some protection from the savage...
3
3

Squash Puzzlement
So, I grew a couple hills of Kabocha squash from seeds from a Seed Saver's Exchange member. Did reasonably well in a known cruddy part of the garden and a dodgy year. I stored a half-dozen squashes on...
3
3

Figs
I am thinking of trying something next Spring. My figs never produce more than a handful of fruit because it seems they need about a month more warm weather than they get here. I'm wondering if I...
3
3

Zucchini blossom end rot
My zuccs have BER! As I understand it the problem is due to deficiency of calcium in the plant which can be brought about by uneven water availability or lack of calcium in the soil. Well my zuccs...
24
24

France Finds Monsanto Guilty of Lying
tiny url: gumie or if you prefer the whole url thing... http://tiny.cc/eIfTh http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/Politics/Politics/france_finds_monsanto_guilty_of_lying_211120090805.html

1st Seed Catalog of the season
Yep- just got the 1st seed catalog for 2010 - Pinetree Garden Seeds. I had some good luck with some of their seeds last year, and I like the fact that many of their seed packets are smaller (and...
3
3

Potato experiment.
Every year we seem to have volunteer potato plants which have grown from potatoes we've missed when digging the previous year's crop. These volunteers always seem to produce a large healthy crop of...
20
20

Potatoes
I had my first garden potatoes this year. It was just a test plot of 5' x 4'. For an investment of two seed potatoes, I got two colanders of potatoes back. The soil is heavy clay, so I lightened it...
10
10

fixing potting soil
This question is applicable to a lot more than edible crops, but I'd like to understand better about potting soil, whether for starting plants or for container gardening. I've been using the cheap...
9
9

Help: are these really persimmons?
I bought a persimmon tree years ago as an ornamental, (I'm in BC, Canada, near the 49th paralel, so its fruit would not ripen here). The tree produces a heavy crop each year, but my "persimmons" don't...
8
8