Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Black plastic covering
I plan to use black plastic covering for my peppers this summer in zone 5 . How do i do it . How does it get watered and fertilized.
13
13

Farm size and population story
Must see this site that Dean Hoffman Posted in What is Obama going to do about it? Nothing, most likely. Farm consolidation has been going on for years. This is the first link I hit upon with some...
15
15

Grow Guide Niffty
I'd look about their home too.
5
5

Reminder as to why we grow our own
FRUIT OR VEGGIE, SCORE 1 (worst) Peach 100 (highest pesticide load) 2 Apple 93 3 Sweet Bell Pepper 83 4 Celery 82 5 Nectarine 81 6 Strawberries 80 7 Cherries 73 8 Kale 69 9 Lettuce 67 10 Grapes -...
1
1

Tomato seedlings, source on SF East Bay's I80 corridor (Berkeley to Milpitas)?
My main problem with tomatoes at the moment is just that I can't find a 6 pack of Early Girl. Seems that all the Orchard Supply Hardware stores in the area aren't stocking them currently. Does anyone...
6
6

broccoli
Last year I planted broccoli and it was bitter. What is the breed that you buy in the supermarket so I can see if I can find it to grow? Thanks!
7
7

Pea & Bean Booster
Have got a couple of packets to try. Its organic, a live culture of harmless bacteria. You coat the seeds with this powder prior to planting. What it claims to do, is fix the nitrogen in the plant to...
8
8

Heritage Beans
Hi im completely nuts about growing heritage beans,just love their diversity, would love to hear from anyone who grows them and what they grow,thanks
9
9

"P" is for plants: Human urine plus ash equals tomato fertilizer
Seems as if the recent "dialog" about pee in the garden has scientific merit, despite the qualms of the squemish and .... whatever. Second article of research follows this one. Wow, I gotta go take a...
5
5

Seed Potato Parts
I planted my potatoes yesterday; I'm in Maryland a bit north of Baltimore. While I was siutting at the kitchen table, cutting the seed potatoes into segments where appropriate, I wondered if there was...
9
9

Garlic
Have unearthed a quantity of garlic in a corner of the garden, which is sprouting. The roots are very long and was thinking that if I trim the roots back, like leeks, would they still grow after...
3
3

Tomatoes - Ace versus Early Girl versus ?
I've been growing Early Girl for almost a decade, maybe more. At my local nursery (Orchard Supply in Berkeley) at the moment the only 6 packs they have are Ace. I once grew Ace but it was way before I...
19
19

Bean question
Andy asks: If I take some pinto beans that I buy in a plastic bag at the supermarket, soak them overnight at room temp, and then plant them, will they germinate ? Andy in Eureka, Texas
4
4

No work gardens.
The book , by Ruth Stout states that by putting 8 inches of hay, or leaves, or mulch on your garden. You dont have to do anything to it. My problem is weeds. And I was almost going to cover my garden...
19
19

100,000 seeds for 60 bucks.
Hello, I posted this link in alt. survival forum. With two questions and somebody said to try here. The guys selling bulk non hybrid seeds on Ebay. . I want to know if theres anyway to know if seeds...
2
2