Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Mashed potatoes Russet or Idaho may matter and oven drying????
Amazing mashed potatoes Serves 6 3 pounds russet or Idaho potatoes, peeled and quartered 6 ounces butter (equals 12 tablespoons), cut into chunks, at room temperature 12 ounces half-and-half Salt and...
4
4

organic fertilizer for amateur gardeners
I'm getting the garden ready, seeds are started. I'd like to do just organic fertilizer this year. It's not easy to find, Miracle Grow has one, as did one other brand that I don't recognize. These...
6
6

Jiffy starter greenhouse vs wet plate
I'm running an experiment to see how my wet plate method works vs a commercial solution, specifically the Jiffy starter greenhouse which consists of a 72 cell plastic tray with peat moss starter...
23
23

tiddyoggie
A fellow gardener potted on some brassica plants which he had brought on in his greenhouse. The plants had grown to 5/6 inches in height and were in 3 inch modules. A few days ago he found that some...
1
1

Edible Gardening
Hi , Did Anyone watch the television programme on BBC2 tonight what do you all think? to me it wasnt all i thought it could have been more about her than the veg!!
16
16

Basil
$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmedJ Agric Food Chem. 2008 Sep 24;56(18):8685-91. Epub 2008 Aug 20. Effects of nitrogen fertilization on the phenolic composition and antioxidant properties of basil...
2
2

Barrier in ground to ward off tree root invasion
My very large plum tree is north of my tomato plot and the branches overhang the northern most tomato plants (the trench for the tomatoes runs north and south). Even if and when I trim the tree boughs...
8
8

germination progress
In an earlier post I listed the varieties of tomatoes that I'm starting from seed. I started the first four on April 1, one variety on April 5, and I plan to start the last two today, April 6. There...
9
9

is it safe to plant sweet peas in the same yard as garden peas
I bought a package of Black Knight Sweet Peas thinking that they were an edible pea (sweet pea sounds good doesn't it). As it turns out they are poisonous. Is there any possibility that they will...
3
3

No Big Box tomatos this year
After last year's late blight fiasco I've sworn off buying plants from the Big Box stores, I'm doing everything from seed. I started the germination process on Friday for the first four varieties,...
15
15

Carrots survived the winter
Is this unusual?, my garden is full of carrots. I've been eating some of them for the last few weeks but I'm wondering if I should just leave them alone for a few months and hope they grow to a...
8
8

Gardening
Well the first of my lettuce is in, but I had to stand in the rain to do it. Weird day. The sun would come out, and I would go out, and every time I went out, it would start to rain again. I planted...

Just dug the horseradish for the first time
Interestingly, some of the biggest roots ran laterally from the crowns for about a foot before turning down (just begging to be cut by the shovel.) Is it best to replant the crowns (that's how I got...
7
7

Monsanto has change of heart.
3
3

Amazing !
I find it hard to believe no one on this forum grows heritage beans apart from me, can that be.
46
46