Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Is stored water safe for leafed crops
I have two 1000 litre storage tanks which collect water from the roof, and I then use to water our vegatable garden. Obviously these are used and topped up on a continual basis, so the water is both...
16
16

Pumpkin help
Hello All I planted a seed from my halloween pumpkin last year and it grew! it flourished into a big plant, it would flower for one day and then the flower would die? im not sure why this is happening...
3
3

Tomato Wilt
For three years now I have lost my tomatoes to wilt. Can anyone tell me why? MJ
5
5

Strawberries and slugs
I am having a problem with slugs and my strawberries, as soon as they get almost ready to pick these little slugs eat holes in them. What can I do without putting any poisons down?
7
7

Too cold for beans? and a carrot question...
I planted three kinds of beans early last week. The weather had been quite warm, the soil was warm, and the beans were soaked overnight before planting. A few days later a cold snap started. Temps...
5
5

Help with my tomato plants
Hi everyone, I have decided to give growing my own veg ago, all seemed fine unti now, i need some expert help! I have added a picture of the leaves on my tomato plant, i dont understand what going...
4
4

cucurbit stem woes
The stem of one of my cucurbits (I thought it was a watermelon, but it is probably some other melon) has gotten flattened (the first few inches out of the ground) and a bit dried looking. Just after...
1
1

Asparagus confusion
I'm somewhat enamored with the idea of crops you don't have to plant every year, so I've bought some asparagus, after much searching. It's a ferny looking thing in a 1 quart. The more I read about...
8
8

Garlic
My husband says you have to dry garlic after you pick it, Looks fine to me. Opinions?
1
1

Young pomegranates
This pomegranate was transplanted into its current spot around the middle of 2008. It is starting to get baby fruit. Any worries about the yellowing of the tips of the leaves? this in but this...

Im getting rolling eyes about my garden.
Hello, Id like to hear from you about my garden I put in. The neighbors are apparently baffled by it. I'm not 100 % sure either . I will give you a brief description and why I did this. And criticism...
18
18

What can I grow on a fence.
Hello, I want to thank you for the advice on onion sets ands my weed issues. I'm almost finished with my garden, Well most of it. And I'm thinking about planting some type of berry plants that would...
1
1

Passion plant and okra
i think i'm going to start using the appearance of my transplanted wild passion plants for planting my okra! last year i learned much about planting okra, primarily that the ground temperature must be...
4
4

Opinion 5 folks on Superweeds from NYT
"American farmers¹ broad use of the weedkiller glyphosphate ? particularly Roundup, which was originally made by Monsanto ? has led to the rapid growth in recent years of herbicide-resistant weeds....
2
2

Garlic Question
Where are you, in general terms? Sounds like garlic should be fall planted, perhaps with a few inches of mulch on top, preferably after the ground starts to freeze, just to minimize the freeze/thaw...
3
3