Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Tomatoes
I have a tiny garden, actually one bush tomato in a 10 gallon pot. Well I'm fed up with the commercial tomatoes, year after year I get nothing! This year instead of an indeterminate I went with a...
17
17

Onion sets
A few of my onion sets have sent up flower stalks. Should I pull them now for green onions, or will the bulbs continue to grow? (I know they won't keep if I harvest them in the fall) Next year I'll...
7
7

Trying something different
We have 10 year established beds, heavily amended with organic matter, lava sand, green sand, soft rock phosphate and organic fertilizer. After reading how buying tomato starts which can be...
5
5

Can I plant tomato seedlings right into the ground?
I usually plant tomato seeds in peat pellets, then pot up to 2" peat pots, before finally transplanting them outside. This year many of my young tomato plants died, so I started a new batch in peat...
4
4

Cucuber V gourds
I have made a bit of a error. I planted several pots of cucumber and gourds few weeks ago which are all growing well and now need to be planted out, only problem is I do not know which is which ( I...
1
1

Okra
Glad I didn't get far enough with my gardening Memorial day weekend to get the okra sown because it's turned cool and wet again. So I need to wait for the soil to warm back up. I've grown okra up here...
7
7

C&E News editorial on report by President's Cancer Panel
I got flak for criticizing this report. Here's what C&E News Rudy Baum has to say. Those that follow him will generally find him an administration supporter, but not this time: When the American...
6
6

Cucubits and cross pollination - help
I'm a novice veg grower - this is only my 2nd year and I have a question about cucubits. Last year I bought all female cucumbers so the question didn't come up. But this year I have male/female...
9
9

Should I let my artichoke flower?
I live in southern Utah, zone 7-8. I planted some globe artichoke plants two years ago, and cut them down last year to make room for something else when I saw that the artichokes didn't seem to be...
3
3

sap on tips of peach tree branches
I bought a Hale Haven peach tree at Lowe's about 9 weeks ago, and planted it with half a bag of composted cow manure under the roots. I also mixed in some of that dehydrated plastic to help it get...
6
6

Major garden decision today
I got back from nearly a month away to find a weed infested garden, and some plants that wifey and MIL had bought, but not planted correctly. So, good guy that I am, decide to plant said articles. I...
3
3

edible berry on tree
Hi, I saw a tree in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia with purplish red berries on it. The berries themselves looked quite a bit like blue berries (except for the colour). This was however a 25+ft...
4
4

cucumber flowers
I have not ever planted cucumbers before so I'm not sure what to do. I have a small cucumber plant ( covered by a soda bottle ) and it has a flower, it only has 4 leaves. Do I need to pinch off the...
10
10

asparagus - leave or replant?
I grew purple asparagus from seed 2 years ago, thought they had died but in spring suddenly found it was still alive in pots. Should have checked then what to do but just popped them into a raised bed...
3
3

Toward food sovereignty: Reclaiming autonomous food systems [pdf]
Looks alike a long worthwhile read. ........................................... Use the above link as below was broken now fixed by me. ........................ From The Scout Report, Copyright...
9
9