Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

wire worm
how do I control wireworm in my veg plot
1
1

What pollinates apples, besides bees?
What pollinates apples, besides bees? I'd like to plant apple trees -- only a couple -- in my yard. If I must have honeybees, then I'll look into the details of that. But honeybees, who wander far,...
17
17

What¹s On My Food?
Again. Thanks to chatnoir for pointing me to this site. What¹s On My Food? is a searchable database designed to make the public problem of pesticide exposure visible and more understandable. How does...

Preen
Has anyone used Preen? It claims to stop weeds, does it work?
18
18

Bell peppers, red, green, yellow, purple?
Realy i don't know the varieties of water melon, this list looks great!
1
1

Tiller?
Does anyone have a suggestion for a new rear tine tiller? Due to my disability I can no longer use my 30 year old troybuilt horse. I need something big enough to cultivate over 4000 sq ft. but easily...
23
23

OK to use ammonia on edible plants.
We use ammonia solution to kill slugs on plants but have been avoiding vegatables because we don't know if it is safe on edible plants. Is it?
48
48

Fish Fertilizer and saving fish stock
Strange thought entered my mind concerning the tragedy in Japan. With the higher levers do radiation entering the ocean. With this make the fish unsuitable for harvesting and will this enable the fish...
34
34

Setting Plants Out
This is the time of year that people put out trays of seedling, to catch a little sun. Remember to take the covers off of the trays of seedlings or you may burn them during the day. Even though we...
2
2

Grafting
My husband and I went to a course on grafting trees. They showed us how to do it. Then gave us some twigs to practice on. Then we each got 1 apple root stock and 1 apple scion. We prepared them there...
1
1

Cucumbers
Hi Last year we tried to grow some cucumbers in the greenhouse but they really struggled and we got next to nothing for our work. So this year rather than taking up greenhouse space we are going to...
3
3

Cultivating Water Chestnuts
Hello all! Does anyone in the group know the best conditions and methods for cultivating water chestnuts? I'm hoping to grow Elocharis Dulcis, which I know require about an inch of water. But that's...
1
1

jerusalem artichokes
Which part of my garden would be better for planting jerusalem artichokes - lower part which could get quite damp in very rainy weather or higher part but beside pine trees? I remember reading that...

Pre packed rhubard roots
I recently purchased a rhubard root that I purchased from my local plant shop. It was one of those that are in little plastic bags of earth sealed with a cardboard label at the top. After opening it I...
8
8

The Battle for Biodiversity
The Battle for Biodiversity: Monsanto and Farmers Clash By ANNA LAPPÉ MAR 28 2011, 12:48 PM ET Does genetic modification lead to more and better crops? Or will it destroy the foundations of our food...
3
3