Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Big garden fail again.
So, my tomatoes did good. But morning glories took over again. And killed the corn. green beans survived. on a fence. eggplant excellent. peppers excellent no bug issues. I've got worms and toads back...
33
33

Organic Gardening in a Hotter, Drier World
Milpa and Swidden what? specifically we were talking about how to deal with arid land that is barren and lacking much cover at all. that is land that is on the verge of desertification. i mentioned...
29
29

Strawberry leaves being eaten
All summer, I've had a problem with the leaves on the strawberries being eaten, its not slugs or snails, or the usual caterpillars. I have found the occasional tiny green caterpillar like thing, but...
1
1

ok Gunny, here's where we are at
you said BS when i said we'd get 200- 600lbs of fruit out of our patches. 26 plants total, 24 beefsteak and 2 sweet 100s. we are at 103 qts of canned tomatoes or canned tomato juice so far. at 7qts...
19
19

Approaching the Collapse: Don't Panic, Go Organic
Again, thanks to chatnoir Approaching the Collapse: Don't Panic, Go Organic By Ronnie Cummins Organic Consumers Association, August 24, 2011 So-called "business as usual" is neither sustainable, nor...
3
3

ID My Apple Tree No.1
Hi, Can someone help me ID the name of this apple tree. Please see picture tree01b Cooking apples or eating? Cheers +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: |...
5
5

Tomatoes survived the big blow
Irene wasn't much of a storm here in New England, a lot of rain and only moderate winds. My tomato plants are all still standing.
5
5

First Red Tomato
My first red tomatoes are Juliets. The Stupices, and the Early Girls are still green. Temps have been in the low 80s F during the day, and around 50 F at night. The Juliets are one hanging above the...
12
12

Mortgage Lifter
I do not think you understood at all what I posted. I don't care what variety the tomato I grew was - whether heirloom or hybrid - I just want it identified. I have not praised hybrids or heirlooms...
44
44

Apple tree newbie
Hello, hubby and I are retired and next year will be moving to a smaller property. There is just the 2 of us and a sloppy labrador. We would love to plant an apple tree or 2 but have no idea of how to...
6
6

growing onions questions
anyone here grow onions from seed? we normally grow our yellow onions from sets from the greenhouse, but i've managed to get some seed heads on an onion sprout that was left over from last year. now i...
9
9

tomatoes coming in nicely
15 tomatoes turned into 5 quarts canned last night. there are a few out there that are bigger than my two hands. as for flavor, when we were done canning we had a quarter of a cup left that would not...
6
6

peas again
they've sprouted, maybe we'll have some pods before the frosts. i'm hoping we have late frosts and they will do well. if anything they will be a cover crop. we've really enjoyed the peas this year and...
20
20

inner city vineyard - what do you think?
http://www.wkyc.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=137098
9
9

Quick Decay of Tomatoes
Birds have been pecking on my tomatoes this Summer so I have been picking them a bit green, and then letting them sit on a window sill (no direct sun) to ripen -- but they are hardly ripe before they...
2
2