Salt in Brickwork ?

Hi all

Looking for some advice.

I live in a Mid Terrace Victorian house, during the fifties and early seventies the whole area was flooded with sea water. Both times the house was dried out the walls treated and it was totally dry lined. Once again I am starting to get salt come through on one of the interior walls. They where last treated about 10 years ago with a worthless 30 year warrantee as the company has gone bust. As the house was re decorated not to long ago I do not really want to strip all the dry lining of again and start again. Is their any thing I can inject through the wall to help neutralise the salt.

Thanks for any help and advise.

Reply to
Darrel Griffin

I'm a little unclear how the salt's coming through dry-lining. Do you mean it was replastered, or have they battened it and attached plasterboard?

Reply to
Roland Butter

As far as I can tell without removing the board it has been battened and plasterboard.

The salt as far as I can tell is passing through the plasterboard and lifting the wall paper as their are some quite large chunks of salt now protruding through the wall paper.

Reply to
Darrel Griffin

You may need to remove the offending areas of plasterboard, including areas around as well, and reboard putting polythene between the board and the battens. It would appear that the salt has worked its way through the battens, but a layer of polythene should stop it from happening again. I know you don't want to take it all off, but I presume its not happening over all the wall is it? Very often the most severe course of action is the one that will last.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

It sounds like you have an ongoing damp problem which needs addressing. What's the construction of the wall, and what's on the other side of it?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Its an interior brick wall, between the hall and living room and it is dry lined on both sides.

Reply to
Darrel Griffin

I think you're going to have to pull off the lining on one side to see what's going on behind.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That sounds more like damp than salt.

Reply to