Design and Access statement

:

Bad enough to have to have planning permission to take out old rotten rubbish windows and put new, good, secure ones in - Council's only now trying to bolt a stable door in a long-neglected conservation area where most of the original sash windows galloped off into a skip around 1978 - but the planning dept have now informed me that the PP application now has to include a "Design and Access Statement". I'm pretty irritated that the online planning portal didn't bring this up, actually, but rules are rules are rules...

There is plenty of guidance around for writing these statements for new buildings, new estates, new towns, retail parks etc, but not for just a window.

I can accept that the "design" element should be spelled out in conservation areas.

As for "access and inclusivity" there are indeed some persons locally who enter and leave properties via the ground floor windows, when not otherwise detained in facilities allowing few such opportunities for free egress. I had actually nutured a vague hope that I would be allowed a design of windows which would EXCLUDE these fine specimens of the diversity of society by PREVENTING their access to my home, but really must change my attitude and move with the times! :-)

Off now to put quill to vellum.

Duncan

Reply to
Duncan

In my experience Design and Access statements are only mandatory for new dwellings and commercial premises. The notion of a D&A statement for new windows does not make any sense. If in doubt check it out with an enquiry to a neighbouring LA. The problem is that planning staff are often inexperienced and not always very bright so I would advise you to question it.

Reply to
AJH

I've just had the same problem - in a conservation area so need PP for shed/workshop cos it's bigger than 10cu m (actually 5m x 4m). Talk to neighbours, they all say just put it up, we don't mind, but new to village and know that all villages have their self-appointed busybody planning monitors Talk to planning people, check all advice and guidance and "how to complete your planning application" documents, take all documents to be checked by duty planning officer, sit back and wait. Over TWO WEEKS later get letter stating application not acceptable as I must complete a Design and Access Statement, and the 8 week process will not start until I submit it. Phone and receive apology that no mention of this in documentation, but "it's a new central government thing". Point out that info they sent me stated it was introduced last year, but they just say "it's new to us". Read recommended documentation that does indeed relate only to shopping centres and large housing estates and factories. Small print says that householder applications are exempt unless it is in a conservation area, so I have to do it. Phone again, point out that it's just a shed, told to just do a side of A4 covering the half dozen points required. Do that, submit, 8 weeks later application refused. Conservation officer objects to it on grounds of siting, style, detailed design and finish not in keeping with conservation area and listed building (church next door). IT'S AN EFFING SHED ! ! !. Since found out conservation officer objects to anything that isn't stone and Collyweston slate roof. Surrounded by houses with a variety of sheds, ugly carports and breeze block garages, probably almost all erected without PP. You try and play by the rules and you just get shafted, makes you feel pretty stupid.

David

Reply to
David Williams

I too read this but have looked at the small print, and actually they CAN insist on a D&A in conservation areas. The ruling goes something like this:

D&A's are ordinarily not needed for domestic plans. Ordinarily PP is not needed for minor domestic jobs like windows. In a Con Area, such exemptions can be overruled by invoking "Article 4". ANY PP application under Article 4 requires a D&A statement.

The only positive side of this Article 4 lark is that the PP application is free instead of £135.

The house a few doors along put in some new uPVC windows (ghastly, actually) and thought they'd got away with it. They were made to retrospectively apply for PP - turned down - appealed - appeal turned down - not yet carried out remedial work and I very much doubt it will ever be enforced (they've just put the house up for sale in this state!)

I keep telling myself it'll be worth it in the end.

Duncan

Reply to
Duncan

I had to provide a design and access statement for the fitting of some new windows in a retail premesis, For the access part I just listed it as "NO Change" which the y accepted without further question

Reply to
adrian beer