Concrete fencing

Hi

I have a fence in my garden that has a concrete slab at the bottom about 1' high and then the fence on top. There is a gap of around 28 inches at the end so i have put another post. I need to buy another concrete slab but the shop where i normally go says that they come in 6' lengths and they wont cut them. Does anyone know how best to cut these?

Thanks

Reply to
<d>

With one of these...

chosen a cheap model as you might use it once in a while.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

You could hire a masonry cutter.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

That doesn&#39;t make sense in todays tools cheapness as you can pick one up new for the price of hiring the cutter and still have it for future use.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Angle grinders can seriously mame or kill, be carefull!! - especially when you hit the reinforcing rods

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I think you have to balance the time it will take to do a 12 inch cut through two-inch thick concrete with a £30 angle grinder from Machine Mart (plus another £20 for a diamond blade) compared with a heavy duty masonry cutter and suitable blade from a hire shop. It&#39;s a matter of judgement.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Me, I would drive to a building site or roadworks using those sorts of tools and give a tenner or so (depending on how much cutting is involved) to someone there to cut it for me while I waited..

You not only want the tool, you want the protective face mask, ear protectors, goggles, etc...

Reply to
Palindr☻me

pmsl

So what are you doing in a DIY group?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Knock up a mould with plywood and make your own. It surely doesn&#39;t need to be reinforced.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Summary of concrete cutting and non-cutting suggestions, with varying degrees of DIY, so far:

1) Buy a cheap angle grinder from Machine Mart (plus a cutting disc, mask, goggles and gloves) 2) Hire a heavy duty masonry cutter from a hire shop (plus a cutting disc, mask, goggles and gloves) 3) Drive to a building site or roadworks using those sorts of tools and give a tenner or so (depending on how much cutting is involved) to someone there to cut it for you while you wait 4) Make your own concrete slab using a plywood pattern/mould

Another suggestion for a non-cutting option: contact a local fencing firm who should be able to supply a concrete slab cut down to the required size since your normal shop is unable to provide this service. It all depends on how much you want to DIY. In my experience concrete is extremely difficult to drill or cut unless you have the right tools such as a petrol driven masonry cutter with the correct blade. Good luck whatever you decide!

Phil

Reply to
Phil Anthropist