Cavity Wall Filling Question

Has anyone had any experience having wall cavities filled where the house exterior is either partly plastic clad or has hung tiles etc.? Is there really a need to drill holes at 1 meter intervals? I realise that the dry stuff eventually becomes sticky to prevent it all pouring out if you make a low level hole in the brickwork for extensions etc. but it does all seem to be blown in dry at first. Michael in sunny Sussex, England

Reply to
Michael Shergold

I had it done some years ago, it was some fibrous material and it remains dry. The stuff used not sticky and friction stops it from simply falling down, so if it was loosly filled it would compact or fallout if a low level hole was made.

Filling holes have to be drilled at regular intervals to ensure even spread, the narrower the cavity the closer together the holes have to be.

I should imagine the holes would ruin tiles and plastic cladding.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I have not seen them insulate other than conventional brick cavities but if you phone your local CW installation company their surveyor will tell you whether your property is suitable and whether there is a work-around. They have to do a survey anyway before they can give you a quote. They use blown-in mineral wool in my area (East Kent). It doesn't become sticky and doesn't pour out. Pouring out of a hole used to be a problem when they used polystyrene beads.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist