Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Wood furnace relief valves
Hi, I have a standard (infrequent duty) temp/pressure relief valve on a standard (electrically gutted) water heater piped into my wood furnace. The tank regularly overheats when little use is made of...

Plasterers Quote!
A relative has bought a 'new' house and doesn't like the artex pattern on the living room ceiling, it is "too spikey". She has had a plasterer in to quote for a skim coat to make it flat...
13
13

Direction of Floor Joists
Two years ago, I had a front and rear house extension. The original first floor flooring was tongue and groove wood, but the builder chose to meet up to this on the extended floor section with large...
1
1

Intel Official: Expect Less Privacy
Intel Official: Expect Less Privacy WASHINGTON (AP) -- As Congress debates new rules for government eavesdropping, a top intelligence official says it is time that people in the United States changed...
2
2

Floor Joists - Which Way?
Hi All, 1960's semi detached house. Is there any particular way that the 1st floor joists tended to be laid? i.e. front to back or side to side? Or is it an inspection job? Regards. Bill.
9
9

Thermostat for Worcester 28CDi
Hi All, I've got a Worcester 28CDi combi boiler in the kitchen. I want to fit a room thermostat in the lounge. Running a cable between the two shouldn't be a problem. What sort of thermostat...
5
5

How deep should sewage pipes be?
I'm just in the process of buying a house and I noticed that the sewage "pit" in the back yard is only about six inches deep, so the top of the pipes are only about two inches under the surface. I...
3
3

Replacement Windows Question
Hi All, Should the window cill be fixed to the window in some way? If so how? I am getting differing advice. Some say yes, others no. It may be that each is right in particular circumstances, but...
4
4

Banging water pipes - radiators
Hi - I have a pressurised domestic boiler system that seemed to be working fine before I had a house extension and several radiators added. The diverter valve failed once and was replaced and after...
2
2

flymo garden blower-vac cutte headr keeps breaking
Last week bought Flymo Turbo 2200 garden blower-vacuum for collecting bags and bags of leaves from adjacenet L.A. public park (we have no trees!) First day, the cutting head broke in two after less...

Gate support
Hi. I am having a set of metal driveway gates delivered later today, two gates 3' high 4' wide, not elaborate and not vastly heavy. Will the existing wooden fence post put in about a year ago...
9
9

MDF repair
Hi all Having assembled a dreaded MDF wardrobe last night I managed to split a couple of the dowel joints in the base whilst moving it into position. Any ideas on the best way to achieve a strong...
1
1

inside chimney breast/ log burner
Hi, Have knocked out old fireplace and now have internal dimensions of 3 foot wide by 2 foot deep with brick exposed. However hole is uneven and needs two inches adding to right hand side. Any...
2
2

Doorstep tiling
My daughter is desperate to get her doorstep has phoned around most of the local tilers and non of them seem to be very interested.A couple of them have said that they would not do it at this time of...
3
3

Screwdriver
Our out of warranty Tefal steam generator iron has started emitting steam from underneath. Instructions state that if this happens the item should not be used but sent back to be fixed. It will cost...
4
4