Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Bedroom wall lights
Hello (again!), While it's fresh in my head, here's another electrical question: Going to redecorate the master bedroom very soon. Thought I might as well take the opportunity to put some...
4
4

Pattress box stripping threads
Hi everyone, I replaced a double socket in the kitchen because the old one had a faulty socket and the whole thing was a bit loose anyway. When I took the old socket off I noticed that the screw...
13
13

Bathroom Fan ?
Does it matter where in a bathroom an extractor fan is located ?
8
8

Sooty Fireplace
Good Evening All, I am about to render the sooty back of a 200 year old fireplace I have just opened up. Any recommendation for removing about 1/4" of soot easily. I have wired brushed with a angle...
3
3

Electrician Charges
Hello, Just had an electrician out to wire the base unit of a wireless room thermostat. He was here for just under 1 hour. Is there a standard charge for this type of visit please? I would like to be...
16
16

Daft Question Number 1
I have a room measuring 12' X 12' Whats this in square metres? (Told you it was a daft question lol !!!) T-L
8
8

Boiler maintenance check
I had yearly check on CH boiler yesterday by Gas Board engineer. He finished check about 11.0am.I was out at the time but in afternoon I did think house was a bit warm but did not check thermostat...
6
6

Rerburb Aluminium Windows.
Hi All, I have a couple of large aluminium windows frames that are worth a bit if work refurbishing I reckon. The glass is ok but the windows are not closing properly in some cases and I would like to...
2
2

Central Heating/Hot Water Valve not working
80s Housing Estate, probably original CH. The most immediate problem is that the rotating valve that switches between CH & HW appears to be jamming. I'm surviving by turning it manually with a...
1
1

Fixing a broken bleed valve on a radiator
Hi, Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to fix a radiator with a broken bleed valve - the small square bolt head has snapped off and I'd obviously prefer not to have to replace the...
4
4

Central heating problem..
It's that time of the year - old and the heating is playing up! We have Danfoss FP715 CH controller. The boiler is gas and it's a separate boiler with the hot cylinder in the airing cupboard....
2
2

NICEIC and minor electrical works question
I had a replacement combi boiler and the new mains connection was done by a non NICEIC registered electrician. In the "description of minor works" box he wrote "Connect to new boiler from existing...
8
8

Attaching laminate scotia to skirting board
Hi, I have laid my laminate flooring and now have to fit the scotia to the skirting board to cover the expansion gap. I have seen in friends houses this is done with staples or nails which seems like...
1
1

FA Brown upvc leaded bay window - less than 4 hours to go
Hello All, Less than 4 hours to go and no bids on an excellent condition brown upvc leaded bay window link below Dave...

Quote for new roof
I need a new roof on a 2 bedroom terraced house. I have requested quotes but waiting on replies. Anyone give me an idea (approx) on what to expect, from what I can gather its just the tiles all the...
4
4