Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

redering waterproof ?
Our cable end(brick build) is very open to the weather and gets the rain and wind a lot. We have rain leaking in through the top of the landing window and ive looked outside but there no holes in the...
5
5

loft hatch catch
I've got another Sunday job to do- making a loft hatch. I'm going to use 18mm ply but can anyone recommend a catch? I don't want one of those push release type as they cause probs with...

cutting architrave mitres
One job I have never got on with is cutting mitres. Can anybody tell me if there are any trade secrets to doing this? I've got 4 new door openings to fit ogee type archtrave to, one of the door...

British Gas Jobsworth
Not DIY I know but could somebody give me an opinion please. I have a property that I rent out, I am the landlord. Apparantly the meter needs changing due to it's age (1992). The BG engineer came...
67
67

moving a batten lamp and replacing a switch
I want to move a batten style lampholder and replace a switch. The switch is two gang wired to switch to separate lamps the switch as all red wires with two blacks in a connector. The batten as single...
3
3

Plaster Question
Dilema ... Dot n' Dab or Browning then Multifinish. 1930 Terrance - I'll be taking the 'nice' artex walls back to brick Im just not sure what the best way to rebuild would be, other...
1
1

Upstairs Shower Disaster
I posted in here a few weeks back regarding the tosser of a plumber who let a rad drain into a brand new downstairs ceiling. Well, I fixed that up (with advice from in here) but now he's caused...
6
6

Best option for pressurising hot water system?
I live in a modestly sized 70's detached house with a gravity fed hot water system. When we had our kitchen face-lifted a couple of years ago I installed a contemporary mixer tap which I did not...
10
10

Printers Are Funny Things
Can anyone give some advice please. I have been using a Canon Pixima MP170 now for about 6 months together with 60gm paper. Recently, when printing, it has started pulling anything from 1 to 15 pages...
26
26

Old rubber insulated wiring
Two questions:- My mother house still has the original rubber insulated wiring. This quarter her electricity bill was 7 times the amout of the same quarter the previous year. Is it possible that the...
12
12

radiators
Hi I have two radiators that are hot at the top. From about half way down they are cool to almost cold at the bottom. seems strange to me. I would have thought they would be hot all the way down. Any...
11
11

Danfloss CP75 control
This control has been set to bring heating and hot water on at 6.0am every day. Been set like this for years the last few weeks on some days it has altered to first when this happened I would reset to...
4
4

No key for euro cylinder lock
Hi, my sister has just moved to a new house, the property had been a repossession. I think that the lock barrels had been changed as they didn't seem to fit properly, so I have changed these for...
2
2

Glow worm boiler at 0.3 bar
Our boiler pressure has gone down to 0.3 bar, we have tried turning the blue water knob underneath (usually works), there is no sound of rushing water like there usually is, and the net effect of...
4
4

Switch query