Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Fitting a Clay Fireback Advice Please
Can anyone give me some tips on fitting a clay fireback? We've opened up a wall where a fireplace used to be, but there's just a hole with no fireback. I assume I need to back-fill the void...
2
2

Cat On Top Of Bird Box ?
I have a wooden shed and on the side of it near to the top, I have fitted a nesting box for bluetits, which they are just staring to know is there. This morning at 5am, the wife had to get up and...
25
25

Bosch WFK2801 washing machine - outlet blocked (error 3)
Hi, I have a ~8 year old Bosch front-loading washing machine, model WFK2801. It's been working fine until this weekend when I (stupidly) put 3 small squares (perhaps 30x30 cm) or carpet in. During...
9
9

2nd fix charges
my electrician has given me a steep bill for second fix. It's a 2 storey extension with garden room on the g/floor + small utility room and shower room, 7 wall mounted outsdide light tails, then 2...
1
1

Dimming Low Energy Lamps
Hi All, Will low energy bulbs work with dimmer switches?
5
5

Light bulbs
This probably sounds like a really silly question, but I just don't know where to get the right answer. I tend to use the low-energy light bulbs. The 20W one I have in the hallway is equivilant to...
10
10

Flagstone cleaning
Can anyone recommend something really good for cleaning flagstones? I've tried the garden-centre algae killers, vinegar, strong detergent, and I don't possess a power-washer and don't...
6
6

Massive variation in quotes for boiler replacement.
Just had 3 quotations for replacing a conventional Baxi system boiler with a Worcestor Bosch combi (30 CDi). The quotes include removing all old and unnecessary pipework, hot water cylinder and loft...
8
8

What are acceptable repairs to foundations?
This is a follow on from my "Concrete foundations will they cure if under water?" post. I've having a small front porch build, approx 2m x 2.5m. It's double skin and has a pitched roof, but...
23
23

gas fitting
Is the flexible `push baynot` fitting to connect gas to cookers still legal in the UK? Or must rigid copper piping be used now. thanks
2
2

Scaffolding Pricing
OK, before i go and get quotes for some work that will involve erecting some scaffolding around the house, can anyone give me a ballpark figure of the cost of scaffolding for a LARGE 4 bedroomed semi....
6
6

Colouring a concrete path
We have a 50 foot long concrete path which is generally sound but looks a bit tired and has a couple of repaired breaks in it where pipes etc have been laid underneath. Can it be painted or coloured...
3
3

Damp Proofing Systems
Hi , Our house is Victorian and a mix of brick and stone with dry lining by plaster board. The entrance hall is very damp on the exposed wall and I have seen various barrier systems using a tough...
4
4

Electricity Question
im closing an office and moving it home ! UK 240volts The room i am moving into has two single sockets but i need to plug in 6 printers 4 computers & lcd screens 2 laptops 2 mobilephones heater tv ++?...
5
5

Concrete foundations will they cure if under water?
I have a builder building a 2.5m x 2m porch (two skins of brick and a pitched roof). The plans for the foundation are I've been told a little excessive, 900mm deep with 600 x 200mm of concrete....
7
7