Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Male Irons for mixer shower
I would have expected the mixer to come complete with the appropriate connectors. However, compression is the only way to go because if you were to solder the pipework after screwing in the male...
2
2

Replacing lead water supply pipes
My son and his wife live in a Victorian terrace house that is supplied with water off a 'common' supply pipe that is feeding several houses. As a result his water pressure is abysmal and, when...
3
3

Best thing to cut plyboard (wardrobe backing)
I'm guessing an electric jigsaw is a bit too severe ? I want to cut a hole so I can stick the wardrobe against the wall but have a cut out for the exisitng elec socket...
15
15

ADDING SOCKETS INTO GARAGE
HI D. I. Y. ERS!! I have a garage with double socket in already and small light fitting , i am after adding additionl 2 double sockets to the garage and another light as the garage we have split into...
2
2

wood glue, waterproof and cheap
I want a * low priced* ' waterproof ' glue to glue some wood together out in the garden. Thats in all weathers, (London u.k. which means: rainy). I went to Wickes and bought a tub of white PVA...
21
21

electrical certificate
Friend is selling a house and had a bit of a holdup with the transaction because he needed to provide an Electrical Certificate.He was pretty vague on what was involved but he did contact an...
12
12

Cracks in wall
Wallpaper does a damn fine job :-)
2
2

Kitchen Cover Panel as Shower Board?
Hello everyone, I'm planning a shower over a bath and will need to build a small partition to enclose the pipes and mixer valve. Has anybody tried using the high gloss cover panel that Ikea sell...

12 Volt battery charger
I am looking for a reasonably priced 12 Volt battery charger and was shocked to see Halfords selling them about £60 Where can I buy a more reasonable one Blair
13
13

sticking peeling laminate?
anyone recommend any adhesive for sticking back peeling laminate doors etc?

Victorian Lintels
I am working on a Victorian 1880 terraced house 2 up 2 down plus basement. The outside has been heavily rendered and I am not sure if that was to straighten things up or to disguise / hide things. I...
4
4

Grass Driveway
Hello Folks. I'm thinking of "constructing" a grass driveway, or more precisely, a grass-reinforced hard-standing for a small motor. There are loads of products out there - does anyone have any...
7
7

Hotpoint WM32 washer?
Hi group Already posting here re- fridge/freezer drain problem, but I have a hotpoint WM32 Aquarious washer with a suspect pump operation. I recently cleaned out the pump and renewed the drain hose...
7
7

Blade for jigsaw
I have a Black and decker jigsaw circa 1985 Its (I think) a DN535S Model S5K30 Does anyone know what type of blades (or equivelent) I can use with it. I have already bought 1 pack that dont fit. The...

Plug chain stuck in sink overflow
The girlfriend's 4 year old monster/son has broken off the bathroom sink's plug chain and then posted it down the sink overflow. I have just spent an hour trying to retrieve it to but no luck...
5
5