Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Kitchen sinks
Hi. Anyone know anything about kitchen sinks? I'm thinking of a regi-granite (by Reginox). How would this compare to a stainless steel, "carbonite", Rietec (by Rieber) or anything else someone can...
5
5

Dripping olive..
OK, so I got too enthusiastic pulling out the washing machine to clean behind it.. To cut a long story short - I have a 15mm copper pipe that appears out of a hole and, an inch later, goes into the...
13
13

Airlock After Draining Cold Water Tank
Drained my cold water tank to clear out all the sediment in it(no lid!) When I re-filled it,all hot and cold taps worked except the bathroom washbasin - not a drop of hot or cold. I'm guessing...

More light switch wiring in a loft
Hi folks, I asked previously about wiring up a light switch. Thanks for the advice everyone - turned off the mains, checked it was off with a voltage tester, had a new face plate ready and...
18
18

Draining CH System
In view of my last post about the black ink in one of my radiators - I think it could be prudent to drain down the entire system. How do I go about this - combi boiler. I assume attach a hose on the...

paving flags
Hi, I'm wanting to buy some paving to park my car on. Doesn't have to be fancy stuff. Just strong enough. But where to buy? Surely, b and q, homebase etc are too expensive. Where would you go?...
1
1

spirit based gloss over water based primer ok ?
Hi, Two tins of Berger paint. Both called pure brilliant white both ok for interior and exterior use. Quick dry primer undercoat , clean brushes with water. Liquid gloss (clean brushes with...
5
5

Price for fitted kitchen?
Can anyone give me an idea what would be a fair price to fit a kitchen with 12 units,plinths and permets.Aberdeen area.
3
3

Consumer Unit.
Due to a recnt success in the same field I have been asked to replace an old fashioned fuse box with a consumer unit. The wiring is pvc covered and in good condition. The wires are presently coming...
1
1

central Heating - puzzled
Introducing anti-corrosive into system. Advice has been to put it into a radiator or the supply tank. But if the former, how do i get it into the pipework from the tank to where the circulating system...
1
1

Ink Black Radiator Water
Hello all, I have just taken the bathroom radiator off. The water inside was ink black. Does anybody know why this is or if it points to anything? I assume it is corrosion. Thanks
9
9

Foaming taps
Simple question: What makes washbasin taps produce soft foamy water? I'm about to replace the taps on a washbasin and want the "foamy" effect. My local bathroom showroom thought it was down to...
2
2

Door adjustment
I have just fitted a pvcu door that incorporates 5 point locking. 4 of these points ar like rollers that go over a catch and then down the back of it. The hinges appear to have independant allen bolts...
1
1

Sorry if OT - Air Conditioning Units
We have one bought several years ago from Homebase but no remote and it has always been very noisy. I wonder if they are any quieter and if anyone knows any web links with reviews? Ken
6
6

Plumbing noise
Hi. I have a noise problem with my plumbing and i'm hopeing that someone out there can give me some advice. My problem is this. Every time I flush the upstairs toilet there is a loud rumbling...
7
7