Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Dyson slow speed
My DC04 appears to run normally most of the time and at slow speed occasionally. It's not due to blocked filters. It also tends to cut out completely if I run it for too long. Any ideas what is...
2
2

The Boy who Broke His Father's Idols!
This is a true story about a boy whose father used to manufacture idols. These idols were very popular amongst the people. Most people were worshipping them because this is what they thought the...

Loft roof insulation
Has anybody used a DIY spray foam kit to insulate their roof from inside the loft? Cost and "physicality" is an issue, hence the thought to use a spray kit, but is the stuff any good? An alternative...
8
8

Water pressure
My son and his wife live in a Victorian terrace house and have suffered constant problems with their combi boiler tripping out due to low water pressure. The water pressure was low because, like many...
9
9

Lawn beside a garage wall
Hi all, We currently have a concrete path leading up the back garden beside the garage. We wish to dig up this path and make a new one running more up the middle of the lawn in a winding motion to...
1
1

Fixings for Hexagonal Wooden Pool
I'm planning to make a hexagonally shaped outside pool/tank about 2400mm dia (each side 1200mm) x 1250mm high. The 'Splashpool 400 gallon' below is something like what I'm after, but I...
3
3

doorstep tiles
Three step doorstep retiled with black tiles which in damp weather show every is annoying lady of the house .Apart from replacing them with something different is there anything that can be done with...

I want good old fashioned Creosote
The Health and Safety Police have screwed it up for everybody - you can't beat carcinogens for preserving wood. I mean you look at railway sleepers and there is virtually no rot at all - in...
4
4

South Tyneside Free Loft Insulation and Cavity Wall Insulation
South Tyneside Homes tenants can benefit by having cavity wall and loft insulation work carried out free of charge. Up to 35% of the heat produced in your home is lost through your walls and 25%...

120 Free DIY top tips
Page one is here:- http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p1.html

combi conundrum.
Halstead combi approx 5 years old, has been a good old boiler, except that just lately it's happened a couple of times that after switching it on from cold, the unit will just sit there dormant......

Welding
Anyone here able to advise on welding? I'd like to be able to do some fairly simple stuff at home using a not-too-expensive arc welder. Trouble is I know absolutely nothing about the process of...
13
13

Hot water Temp
Hi, We have an oil fired boiler which feeds a hot water tank. What is the best temp for the hot water? It was set at 49 oC but that seems quite high. We have set it to 45 oC. Is that ok? Thanks Nigel
4
4

Basin waste
(Apologies if this has appeared twice, I've been having server probs.) In our bathroom, the arrangement is - bath, then basin, then WC. The waste from the bath runs under the floor to join the...
2
2

Cold shower
Hello, Wonder if anyone can give me some help? Have a Heatstore Esprit II shower, fed from a storage tank. Over the last week have experienced a slower flow of water and not much heat. Have checked...