Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Leaky bathtub, need to fix the passthrough hole for the extension and various other parts
Hi all, Sometimes when we use the bathtub we get water dripping downstairs, in the kitchen. This morning I've removed the cover of the bathtub and figured that the hole for the extension cord of the...
2
2

Hand tamper with some extra power instead of plate compactor
I have a very small area about 3' x 4' I want to add some layers of crushed granite and compact it to make a nice little patio area. In addition I might have some other similar sized areas I would...
6
6

Support for kitchen top
Hi I am doing work on my kitchen. I have long Kitchen top with a base unit at each end and space between for 3 appliances. I wish to have some support between the appliances as I do not want the top...
2
2

Paints, Watchdog TV Show, Solvent known as 'VOCs
I'm about to paint my hallway and i remembered that a couple of years ago the tv show Watchdog done something about white paint turning yellow after a few weeks and something to do with the chemicals...
5
5

should we replace the electric shower or try to fix it?
Hello, We stopped using our electric shower at home because it started leaking water from the wall mounted part of it. After opening it I've found that there's a leak somewhere, not far from the...
1
1

Freeview box
This may be OT but anyone know of a freeview box that you can record on and which does not require its own remote to change channels with? I had a Dio n where you could change TV channels with the TV...
2
2

Alternative to electrical chocblock
I don't normally like doing this but what is the modern version of the old fashioned chocblock. It's just i need to extend a 2 core mains wire for an alarm clock, i did take it apart with the idea of...
4
4

Discovering the Best Quality Double Glazed Windows: A Step-by-Step Guide for Homeowners (2023 Update)
Not a DIY question but how does one know which double glazing companies windows are the best? For some reason the previous owner of our flat did not get the side window of the bedroom or the kitchen...
1
1

my cistern keeps dripping into the toilet pan
My toilet Cistern keeps dripping into the Toilet Pan slowly how can i resolve this
6
6

Offline cracks in render.
These large 1/8" cracks inside the hallway are not inline with the wall. That is, the bottom line of the crack projects outwards from the top line. Is there any procedure for filling and disguising...
1
1

Home Hub 5
Is there any way to wall mount this Chris
2
2

Advice on sanding sheets size is needed
I have been given an old B&D CD400 sander, and i'm looking at buying a mixed lot of sanding sheets, different coarseness etc. Now i beleive this is just a simple sander that needs 1/3 paper but i have...
3
3

Understanding the Difference Between Nominal and Actual Bolt Sizes (2023 Update)
I always thought that a 10mm bolt would measure 10mms across its diameter. But I've got one here that is more or less 9mms but fits 10mm nuts. Strange, or normal?
1
1

Checking of Light Bulbs and domestic Tubes
It is easy to check light bulbs if these are good or bad/fused. Is there anything to check the tube lights other than their fittings? I have electrical tester it does not say how to check the lighting...
1
1

Back Mounted Coil on Refrigerators- Why NO MORE ANSWER
This is my opinion as a refrigeration technician. The manufacturers discovered as you said the coil does not get dirt and dust in it as when the coil is folded and under the unit as some newer models....
2
2