Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: NOT DIY Shower Electrics
Dear All, At present we only have a shower (pumped mixer) in our En-Suite room and SWMBO would like another shower installing in the main bathroom as we have two young boys who will obviously get...
12
12

Don't go near B&Q on a Wednesday
DIY tip #248: There's a 12-mile queue of pensioners using their 10% discount cards. I only went there on my annual "good weather" pilgrimage to buy some cheap hanging baskets that will inevitably...
14
14

Roof insulation
Insulation in the loft is normally laid in the joist spaces. Topped up to get the latest spec it comes well above the joists so not able to use the loft for storage. Any suggestions on alternative...
20
20

Tiling on 2 layers of plasterboard?
Hi - I am trying to figure out how to level my bathroom wall before tiling. The wall was already half tiled and we have matched the tiles and going to finish off the rest of the wall so we can have a...
4
4

For all you gas DIY people .......
22
22

Combi Venturi
I've been told that the venturi in my combi system needs cleaning. Does the venturi need to be removed & is it easy to do, would I need to drain the system to clean it.

Combi hot water problem
I have a Ferroli Optima 1001 which over the last couple of weeks has only supplied hot water intermittently, some times you can run the hot tap for ages & only get cold water, other times hot water is...
7
7

Drains
Yesterday evening I noticed our toilet was taking a while to clear. I lifted the cover outside and found the pipes were blocked with the usual sewerage stuff and lots of what appeared to be nappy...
13
13

Cavity fill
I enquired recently about having our cavity walls filled with insulation. A surveyor telephoned a few days later to make an appointment and was rather shocked at the distance he would have to drive so...
13
13

Which professional do I need to review a supporting wall that's been fettled with?
About five years ago I took a hammer and chisel to a supporting wall. The wall is the central column you tend to get in smallish semi detached houses between the front door and downstairs window (6m x...
21
21

Removing Fused Switch
Hello all, I am decorating one of the back upstairs bedrooms. It used to be the kitchen of the upstairs flat. I have removed the extracor fan, mains cable and bricked up the hole. The fan conected to...
10
10

Fly Killer
How do you kill flies in the kitchen? I've tried those stick-on Vapona sunflower things for the windows and I don't reckon they are effective. Anyone got any tips? Jim
22
22

Idiotic Competition ... All Welcome !
My rant for the day on the most annoying and idiotic penny pinching sales gimmick .... can you beat it? The other day my son's laptop stopped accessing the Internet. After much head banging we...
16
16

rip off?
A "friend" of mine has just replaced the two springs on my garage door and bolted a bracket to the bottom of both frame supports as the old ones had to be cut off to get the old springs out. Took him...
10
10

Happy Easter
Wishing you all a very Happy Easter. Ash
1
1