Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Wiring requirements for hob, oven and extractor please?
I have a gas hob which requires mains for the ignition circuit and above that an extractor canopy which also obviously requires a mains connection. Then there is a gas oven which again requires a...
4
4

Pilkinton K Glass
I am in the process of specifying windows and doors for my garage conversion. Being a downstairs area, and as part of it will be an office, security is important. Does Toughened K glass offer much...
4
4

Insulating Solid walls
Hi all I am just about to buy a house that has solid brick walls. I will be having a DPC installed (probably injection?) but the surveyor said something about recommending I had the walls insulated,...
89
89

Can gas cooker be fitted into cupbd. unit space?
I have a gas cooker fitted into a purpose-made space in a large cupboard unit but it needs to be replaced. The space is 54cm wide x 60cm deep x 163cm high. It is fitted with an small extraction fan....
4
4

OT: Gas boiler switch - what could it be?
Don't panic, I'm not about to start playing with the gas boiler. My mother who lives about 160 miles away has had problems with her gas combi boiler. It's under a maintainance contract and...
6
6

Removing the cover from a PIR
Hi, I need to re-position a PIR, but it has no visible screws. I deduce the black casing unclips somehow, but I risk breaking something if I just lever it randomly around its rear edge. The PIR looks...
4
4

Well Well revisited
I have now opened up the well in the back yard and ordered a pump. The trouble was the well had a deck 8m down supporting an old pump with no way a new pump could be lowered into the water from above....
13
13

Black Mould
I have just ripped out the old kitchen units and am staggered at the amount of black mould present on the walls behind even though the walls are dry and there are no leaks in the pipework or nothing....
9
9

Consumer Unit query
I recently had my old fuse box replaced with a Consumer Unit. The electrician fitted a unit with two RCBs and separated the upstairs and downstairs circuits. Unfortunately, when the power was put back...
6
6

Which direction power cables?
In a fairly new build 4 in a block apartment, is there a preferred route for electrical cables to be routed, i.e. would they feed all cables from under the ground floor flat or would they tend to feed...
3
3

RCB for 10mm circuit
I want a cable run to an adjoining garage which is to be converted into a utility room and study. The actual work will be carried out professionally, but in order to feed the circuit from my existing...
8
8

models of HMS Hood and Bismark
I have a pamphlet offering two diecast models of HMS Hood and Bismarck for £2.99. (They say they are worth £26.99!) The Royal British Legion is mentioned in the leaflet. Send no money just complete...
4
4

Changing a garage into a workshop.
I'm thinking about changing existing garage (which is never used as a garage) into a workshop. The existing steel door is bent and the wire on the one side is broken so I intend to replace it with...
3
3

How to stop interior door banging in the wind
Hi, We like to have windows open upstairs, but for various reasons need to keep 2 of the bedrooms shut during the night, all the bedrooms are opposite the bathroom which has a window open all the time...
6
6

Tar on concrete
Hope someone can help. Recently have our garage reroofed and althought the roofers did a good job they made a real mess inside the garage. The problem is that the concrete step from the garage into...
2
2