Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

baxi 105he instant hot water problem
3 year old boiler, the problem is that when I turn the hot water tap on it sometimes takes up to 20 mins before the water coming out of the tap is hot. During the time that the water comes out cold...
6
6

Toilet not flushing properly
Downstairs toilet, lever flush, (it says "Shires on the cistern) sometimes takes 2 or 3 flushes to clear the bowl. It also takes forever to fill up accompanied by a humming from the loft (which I...
4
4

Tee Nut - but not!
Hi I'm struggling to put a name to the component I want so that I can locate a supplier on the net. That is, I am looking for something similar to a tee nut, in that you drill a hole into the...
5
5

Repairing Ring Main
My son decided he would do a spot of DIY and managed to drill through the ring main cable using the hammer action on my Kango drill ... what was going through his head at the time (apart from 240...
7
7

Clear saucepan lids
Hi All - I hope someone can help with this: We have a number of clear glass saucepan lids that have become 'smoked glass' over the years. This is probably due to constant washing in a...
19
19

calling country d.i.yers
Can anyone advise me as to how difficult and expensive it would be to build a field shelter for two small ponies, it would not be their permanent home as they come in to stables at night but it would...
23
23

Remedial wall ties
Looking at buying a 1900 cavity wall house, which needs the wall ties replacing due to failure of the original ties. I have had a quote for the work, but with no mention of removing the old ties. The...
12
12

Mortar Mix
An elderly neighbour has aked me to replace two imitation Yorkshire stone coping stones (600mm x 300mm) on top of two brick pillars. I have no experience of any bricklaying etc. I have cleaned alkl...
4
4

What's the correct way to solder twin and earth cable?
I need to join some T&E cable that will be inaccessible and I don't want to use maintenance free junction boxes, so what is the approved way to solder and sleeve T&E cable?
35
35

How important is water pipe earth bonding?
I have lived in my current house, which was built in the mid 1970s, for around twenty years. The water pipes have never been earth bonded. I recently had my old fuse box replaced with a consumer unit...
8
8

Removing Danish Oil - Update
I followed the advice and set-to this morning with a pack of steel wool and bottle of white spirit. It worked a treat - although it was bloody hard work and took all morning! As you are swirling the...
10
10

Moving mains supply point
I'm looking to extend the kitchen out, which itself is straight forward. The incoming mains for all three services (electricity, gas and water) are all on the wall I need to extend. Has anyone any...
4
4

Handrails
Anyone have any experience of Dave Dalby Woodturning ? I ask because I am in need of a handrail and they seem to have what I want at an affordable price, but its hard to tell what the quality is like...
1
1

Kitchen floor tilies
Our kitchen floor is covered in vinyl floor tiles, probably Marley, stuck down with black stuff. They are probably original from when the house was built in 1973. Quite a few of them are breaking up...
1
1

Fitting shelf between 2 wall units
Hi, I have 2 box wall units approx 5ft long by 1 foot high, with a gap of about 18 inches in between, roughly 5 feet from the floor. I want to put a shelf between them, what's the best way to...
1
1