Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Garden Light
My house is newly wired to the latest 17th Edition standard with RCBOs on every circuit. I want to install a garden light on a dusk to dawn sensor but do not want to run a separate 6A circuit from the...
5
5

Not mentioned in boiler instructions ?
I have a Baxi Combi 105HE Boiler. We do not have a thermostat connected to it so we just use the one on the boiler itself and also the integral timer. We don't want the boiler on all the time and...
1
1

Washing machine parts anyone?
Check out this fantastic bargain!! Buy Hotpoint Screw online from Partmaster. Next Day UK Delivery and price match available.
2
2

What are the regs regarding running mains cables next to copper pipes?
I'm thinking of minimum distance etc.
2
2

Where can I get plates to protect pipes in joists?
I'm after suppliers for the small flat steel plates that you affix to the top of joists to protect water pipes and cables that run underneath. Any ideas?
7
7

Yucky washing machine
I assumed a washing machine is pretty much self cleaning. Washing powder through it and a few rinses each cycle. I've just discovered black mould in the folds of the rubber door seal and more...
15
15

Combi boiler and overheat stat trip problems
My son has a Worcester Bosch 240BFcombi installed in his house. The boiler is some 15 years old and has been causing them problems for some time. Although the boiler runs the central heating without...
3
3

Central Heating Power Flush/Clenze
Hi All Just wondered if anyone could tell me what a Power Flush of my central heating system involves. I've also heard of Power Cleanse, is this the same thing? How long does it take and will it...
9
9

How much to charge ?
Im not a builder by trade but have done all my house and know various trades, totally gutted my house, built extensoin etc. Next door neighbour wants thier bathroom re doing, Approx 6ft square, wants...
7
7

Dead boiler
My Mexico HE36 boiler died on Tuesday night. Company repair man unavailiable till Friday, boiler 6 months out of waranty, local repair firm came on Weds, diagnosed faulty circuit board, replaced at...
5
5

Gas cooker point
Comet have delivered a gas cooker and a Gas Safe man. I have kept the former and sent the latter back as he reckons my cooker point is too high and should be on the left. He also says the 20 year...
15
15

Using CH inhibitor
I have been looking at inhibitor to put in my CH system after I fit my thermostatic valves. I notice that some say do not put in systems that are made of aluminum but how do I know what my boiler is...
1
1

Best storage heaters
Hi, Wondered if anyone had any view on the best and most efficient make of electric storage heater? I was wondering about swapping the ones at my mother-in-law's which are great big things about a...
9
9

Have I Found It!
I have a separate garage that has power supplied from my house RCD equipped CU. In the garage there is a separate two way CU (lights and sockets). The sockets in the garage are all twin plastic apart...
12
12

Laying paving stone
What should paving stones be laid on? Just sand or a mixture of sand and cement? If the latter, in what proportions?
5
5