Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Urgent paint problem...
The new carpet we had put down last week, has got a white undercoat drip on it, size of 10 p peice, hubby has dabbed at it with water, while I was out, its still there, I'm wondering if we put turps...
12
12

Powerdor control card
My garage Powerdor control card has failed. I can find reference to the remote controller and various mechanical spare but not the control card. Does anyone know where these ear stocked? Thanks Bengy

MNaytag Neptune Dryer leaving Brown Marks
I have a Maytag Neptune Model MDG9700 AWW gas dryer. We noticed a sharp spot in the drum that was capable of cutting a hand, and a "drum kit" (which was covered under the extended warranty) was...

Urgent Electric Problem
Came back from the pub quiz last night to find the downstairs in darkness. The RCD had tripped. It would not reset unless we had all the light switches off. The lights are on a 6A RCBO with an 80A...
31
31

CH Problem
My Sister rang today and asked me to 'pop in' as two of her radiators are not heating up (at all). I went round and had a look. It is a sealed system combi boiler set up. Water pressure OK (just under...
3
3

Gas Flame Supervision Device (FSD) 2010 regulation?
Reading around I see references to a new regulation covering FSDs for cookers, hobs, and such, that is apparently due to come into force in May 2010. Can anyone tell me what this new regulation is...
2
2

Can you "fill" chips in ceramic tiles?
Apologies for two posts, but it's that time of year where the jobs need to be listed and dealt with! Ceramic tiled floor in dining room, one of the tiles now has a chip about an inch long and half...
3
3

Can you dye carpets in place?
Long story short, cream carpet already fitted. Dropped cup of coffee on it, got most up and went over it with a carpet shampoo machine. Turns out that the floor is concrete with a kind of black...
8
8

Musty book-How to remove
DA had written this in response to : bm wrote: If it's mold, I don't have a solution for you. Let it dry (put some other books ontop so it does not warp), see what happens. But in general, I've found...
4
4

Floorboard help please
We having new carpet laid next week, with quite thick underlay. We have a few squeaky boards we are dealing with, there are a few boards that have small gaps between them, say the width of a Sunday...
11
11

Bathroom windows
Hi. Simple one (maybe!!!) Does a window above a bath, in a bathroom, need to be toughened glass? (1300mm high by 1050mm wide overall including frame, single pane tilt'n'turn inwards opening); more...
2
2

Water stop tap in the street - questions
Doing a kitchen refit and need to turn off the water out in the street due to where the water pipe comes into the house (i.e. right where you'd want to put a sink unit, and too far out from the wall...
5
5

OT: Computer fairs in Birmingham
Does anyone know where/when computer fairs are held in Birmingham. I used to go to the one at Edgbaston Cricket Ground, but cant seem to find any info on it anymore.
2
2

Gas Fire Flue in Attic - British gas did smoke test and it appeared leak
Hi As my subject suggests I appear to have a leak in my flue located in the attic feeding up to the roof. British Gas suggested replacing the pipework. However, can anyone provide a view on using High...
8
8

jet washer
I have a std champion jet washer which works fine, except for the spray lance which dosn't work properly anymore, it sprays all over with no direct power are these lances unique per manufacturer or...
4
4