Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

heating oil tank
I am sure they have a proper name but hopefully you will know what I mean, ours is 10 years old now, it is outside in a sheltered place and some bits of rust have been painted over with summat. When I...
8
8

MacAllister 18V li-ion drill....
... purchased from B&Q, 18months ago - with 3 year warranty. One of the batteries will not now recharge. Spoke to B&Q and they said they no longer make or sell them. Said to take it back and they will...
8
8

Fixing a small hole in shed felt roof?
Hi, I replaced my shed roof with new bitumen sheets, and of course I missed one of the old nails and put a very small tear in it :( Can I just use a blob of any kind of waterproof mastic/silicone or...
6
6

PIR with Photocell
Hi all, Our house has a PIR with Photocell fitted in a Hi/Lo format. Basically, when dusk comes, it switches the outdoor lighting on at a dimmed level, and if the PIR picks anything up then it gets...
6
6

Coverage (metres/sq) per 10 kg for chippings/stones
How do I work out how much I need to say, cover 10sq m?
5
5

Single lever mixers and temp indicators
Just got what looked to be a nice contemporary single lever basin mixer off the internet, and it has for want of a better description, a long joy-stick control lever for the flow/temp. It's going back...
2
2

Cosmetic remedy to frost damage
These paved front driveway tiles came with the house when I bought it. Some of the tiles are cracking and some spliting due to frost damage, (in London, U.K.). See photo on Tinypic website: Underneath...
7
7

Shed treatment/painting
Hi, If I wanted to paint gloss onto a new untreated shed, should I treat it first? And can I use any exterior wood gloss ? Thanks.
2
2

Better range for white bathroom suites
Only those who have experienced the trauma of renovating or designing a bathroom know how painful it is when it comes to selecting each bathroom accessory personally and also make sure they all...

Wetwalls
Just discovered a load of rain damage to an outside wall on an upper floor. The guttering had come away and when it rained the water streamed down the wall and seeped through into the inside of the...
7
7

Hot water overflow - Sealed boiler system?
Help. Boiler is making a funny noise and hot water seems to be leaking out of some sort of overflow. Its a sealed system I think - one big boiler and two small bits. Also, any hot water is not kept...
2
2

Limescale Removal
Hi Guys, I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled in the pan below the water line. What is the best product/solution to remove it? Cheers John
13
13

17th Edition requirements
As I outlined in a couple of earlier threads, I want to do some electrical work on a property recently bought by my son. Because it was discovered by the electrician who fitted a new CU that there was...
6
6

elastic cord
I've bust the elastic cord that snaps together the hollow carbon fibre rods of an awning. Any ideas where I can get a small quantity? Colin
9
9

Radiator thermostats
Hi, We have one room upstairs that's always too hot. We've got the usual twist valve on the bottom of the rad, but the room is too cold if we turn it off. Was thinking about those replacement valves...
16
16