Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Surface Mounted Thermostatic Shower Mixer not shutting off.
Hello, I have a Bristan Java Surface Mounted Thermostatic Shower Mixer installed in my shower room at home. It's been used daily for the past 6-7 years with no issues. For about 4 months the mixer has...

tub and shower wall caulking
I have a question that my husbabnd and I have been trying to solve for 4 years now. we have a jacuzzi tub with a shower wall type backing surrounding it. It has a decent gap where the shower wall...
4
4

Leak from furnace pipe to outside
Hello, Apprantly the sealant around my furnace vent pipe to the outside has worn out so it is allowing a small amount of rain in. What kind of sealant do I use on a furnace vent pipe that will be safe...
1
1

Pulling a tap connector to bits
I'm building a bit of kit that needs an end connector flange and looking at a bog standard tap connector tonight and wondering how the thing was held together realised that there is an allen key...
3
3

Is it really that easy to fit a timer to a immersion tank heater?
Hi I'm new to the forum (although I have been following it as while via twitter). I've just moved into an old house that has amongst other things, just an immersion tank heater for the hot water...
5
5

No central heating
Let me make it absolutely clear - you do NOT need a new boiler - whatever the gasman says! Andy
3
3

CH boiler problem
All is working, no warning lights, radiators all bled, BUT. The water pressure dial is between 1 and 2 as it should be, but when CH is switched on it goes right up to 3, bordering on the red line. If...
2
2

Strange Dishwasher Problem
I have a Panasonic DCS12W counter-top dishwasher which has run fine for a while, but yesterday started to give me cause for concern. Following the instructions, each wash has hitherto been soaped by...
4
4

electical service box
I have a Bryant electrical service box that is full. It is rated 100 amps and is 35 years old. I bought two twin breakers so I can add two more circuits. The diagram on the back of the cover panel...

Disconnecting a gas appliance
Moving home soon. Need to disconnect two gas appliances - a cooker and a gas fire. The gas company told me I can do it myself, simply turn of the gas supply at the mains and disconnect the appliances....
10
10

Rubber strip
Hi guys, Looking for a small supply of self adhesive rubber strip. I want to seal lamp clusters to caravan. I think B&Q only sell foam to stop draughts, I want to stop water ingress. Thanks Colin
4
4

Removal of plaster coving
Hi The house is a terraced property around 1900 is I would guess. What is involved to remove what I assume is the original coving. Regards HN
4
4

Hotpoint VTD20 tumble dryer
The handle on my Hotpoint VTD20 tumble dryer is faulty, and I can only unlock the door with difficulty. I have found out where to buy the replacement handle but looking at the door I cannot see how to...
5
5

Rayburn repair
Hi there, I'm hoping for some advice if poss? I recently bought a lovely Rayburn Royal (having recently got used to using a Rayburn Regent) for £150. I took the firebricks out yesterday to fit...
3
3

gas boiler pilot light
I have a glow worm fuel saver 25-30 boiler. I go away for a few weeks every summer and turn my gas off . Usually my boiler lights after a few attempts but not this time. The ignition lights the pilot...
5
5