Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Car Parking Plastic Grids
Has anyone used these car parking plastic grids? I need something like this alongside the drive, to replace ugly paving slabs, so people can walk to and fro from the car without getting muddy shoes.
9
9

Making railings, any advise?
I am considering making some railings to go on top of a low section of wall beside the house. Have any of you done this? Any advise or words of warning? I have found this website which sell all the...
1
1

Strange mixer tap
I fitted a new mixer tap in the kitchen three months ago. The cold tap works fine with no problems, but the hot tap is very strange. Turn the hot tap on, water flows for a second, there is then a...
1
1

Type of hex key
I have a grub screw with a hole in the head for a key - not an allen key but a hexagon key with the flat sides not flat but gulleyed in slightly. Thus the hole is more like a star than a hexagon. Does...
14
14

Stubborn dripping tap
Stubborn dripping bath tap at parents house. It is a traditional 3/4 bath tap of about 1970 vintage. Father replaced the washer when the old one split. It dripped. Reseated it, second new washer, and...
10
10

Discharge from condensing boiler
If the boiler is in perfect working condition always would you expect to ever see evidence of a discharge from the copper pipe on outside wall.
8
8

Ge refrigerator board repair
This question goes out to those who might be a little tecnical on repairing boards. I am learning to repair ge boards and I have figured out how to repair the compressor relay solder burn outs, thats...
2
2

Oil or electricity
Which is cheapest to heat my water, immersion heater at around 13 pence a unit electricity or oil at 60 pence a litre, in other words should I turn on the immersion heater to conserve my oil actually...
2
2

What is happening with my electrical system ?
Could anyone offer and explanation or thoughts as to what is happening with my electrical system. Whenever the washer and kicks into another stage of the wash cycle or the central heating boiler...
5
5

Polycell SmoothOver
We inherited a ceiling in our house that has previously been painted with some form of texture coat. It looks pretty awful, so now I want to do something about it. It seems impossible to remove (I...
7
7

OT Speed of Processor
Having the speed the same as the stated speed simply means that your clock is running very accurately. However, I would generally expect to see the actual speed at perhaps a few megahertz higher or...
40
40

RCD tripping.
12 months or so ago I had my old fuse box replaced with a modern CU. I have problems with the RCD tripping whenever I first switch on my pressure washer - and occasionally when I turn on the waste...
19
19

Horrible black floor tile adhesive
The downstairs bog project continues........ House is concrete floored downstairs and covered in horrible thermoplastic tiles. For the most part, they are VERY well stuck down and everywhere else in...
8
8

European electrics
Just wondered where I stand with changing a plug on an electrical item from Italy? The plug looks like this: there any issue with changing it to a UK plug? Its a coffee machine. Thanks James
31
31

Gutter
The bane of my life is a dripping plastic gutter. In summer it expands and the rubber joint leaks. In winter it contracts by what must be 1/4 of an inch and almost pulls out of the rubber joint....
5
5