Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

why are my rads still hot with thermostat turned to zero?
Got a standard GCH system, one of those where the bathroom rad is always hot, for some obscure reason the plumber explained but I've since forgotten. However, I've only just noticed that even with the...
7
7

Staying Warm During The Winter
------------------------------------- Hi, I just joined this group and I also just bought a house in New Haven, CT. As you all may know, the Northeast is getting a beatdown from all the snow and ice...
2
2

Malibu low voltage lights
I've got a string of 4 Malibu exterior low voltage lights. All of the lights work except the first one in the string. I can measure 11.4V at the socket of the non-working light but, when I plug in...

Tiling- Door cutting
I want to tile a bathroom that has one of those lightweight veneered finishes. Can these be cut by 10mm or so from the bottom. I think this type of door consists of two thin sheets of ply seperated...
6
6

Screwfix kitchens
Looking at the cream/ivory shaker screwfix rigid kitchen and wondering if anyone has experience of the quality/service? Also - since I can't actually look at the doors before buying - an opinion on...
4
4

noisy water pipes
I have an empty house adjoining mine. The landlord had some work done on it the other week including some plumbing. Ever since the plumber finished I get a noise when I run my taps (hot or cold) a...
4
4

More advice on a gas fire
Having been dissuaded from buying a flueless gas fire by this NG, I had the Gas Safe fitter call and inspect the room. Due to the garage immediately behind the sitting room wall the fitting of a...
4
4

Begging for help again .....
You chaps very kindly offered help and advice last week for which I was most grateful for. I am begging for some further help to do with my PC. I have just edited some files, 5 in all, each in a...
9
9

Mersey Main Supplies
Are Mersey Main Multipoint BF Heaters still available? They are advertised/ offered from 325.00 inc VAT to over £600.00 I haven't tried any of the upmarket sources, but all those advertising the...
2
2

ravenheat boilers really are crap arent they
some of you may remember a post by me on the uk.diy group in October last year, (cant get uk.diy on the cheesy server) i was warned I'd be seeing more of the plumbers.... came true last Thursday...
5
5

Mains outage alarm/logger
Hi, Does anyone know of a low-cost/simple device/unit that will give an alarm (latched) and log/display the time a mains outage occurred (started). Cheers. Chris
1
1

GFCI Problem
I have a GFCI which was not providing power to its outlet. I could trip it and it would reset fine. I suspected the GFCI was bad and installed a new one (one hot, one neutral wire and the ground). It...
3
3

O T:- I have lost my hard drive
I have been building a computer up from parts donated. I have put in an 80Gb hard drive which is split into 2 x 40Gb (or thereabouts). I used fdisk on another machine to create the 2 sections. The...
29
29

soldering temp for pcb's
anyone know what the ideal temperature to set me solder station to when soldering pcb's, i know there are many variables, using that lead free shitty solder, pointed 1mm tip, and soldering mainly on...
6
6

Instantanious gas water heater heat exchanger.
I have a frost damaged (obsolete) 32kW gas heat exchanger. Can the copper pipe be soft soldered to fill the split? If the heater is beyond repair is a combi boiler a practical option for direct hot...
6
6