Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Comparing Batteries ?
I have posted this on a couple of disability groups but activity is virtually nil. I am in need of some new batteries for my wheelchair and mobility scooter. So many different makes on eBay. eg MK,...
16
16

Advice on replacing sliding glass doors on a stucco home.
I just bought a new home and the sliding glass doors are in very poor condition. I am on a budget so I would like to try to replace them myself but have absolutely zero experience. I am, however, a...
2
2

problem sourcing and fitting plastic drainage pipes
Hi, I have an upstairs basin where the drainage pipe goes through the wall, through a couple of obtuse bends and into the soil pipe. It is all push fit connectors fitted years ago. The plastic...

Door cutting. Thanks
Sorry I seem to have deleted the older messages in this NG, but I wouid like to thank all those who responded to my query about shortening a door. I first cut the bottom of the door with a Stanley...
1
1

Isolation switch ?
NEDL engineer told us that we need have an isolation switch fitted after the meter in order to isolate the mains should any work need to be done in the house, because at the moment we only have a trip...
4
4

Pilot lights, flame starts, then burns out
In trying to get our natural gas fireplace to redraft, I've gotten the pilot to light. Then the fire starts. After about 2-3 minutes the pilot burns out, which of course shuts the gas valves and...
2
2

bog seat
Just fitted a new bog-seat and it is already loose. Is there some trick of the trade that I am missing with these new-fangled swivelling fittings? TIA John the West Ham fan <
2
2

Wall mounted gas fire
I have asked for help over fitting a wall mounted gas fire with a balanced flue in my living room, and I'm now back for more help. I had my local "gas safe" fitter in to inspect the wall and the gas...
2
2

Stained and previously damp wall
Hi I have to paint a wall in a bedroom which for a few years was damp and stained with mould etc from a leaking chimney. The damp problem has been fixed now and as far as I can tell everything is dry....
6
6

Free standing bedroom furniture recommendations
Does anyone have any recommendations for good quality free-standing bedroom furniture ranges? Mother-in-law is downsizing to a flat and looking for matching small wardrobe, dressing table, chests of...
4
4

Help to find right gas connector please.
I have a gas hob which was supplied with an elbopw connector like this: threaded part on the right of that picture is 1/2"BSP but the end is flat and is meant to seal against a rubber washer. The...
3
3

oak doors
Our beautiful solid oak flooring features tongue and groove fittings on both sides and ends. We can give it square or micro bevelled edges and it also comes with stress grooves on the rear side for...
3
3

Kitchen cabinet coming off of wall
Kitchen cabinet was coming off of wall on one corner. So, I took it down. I see that the side panel tore off of the nails that hold the side panel to the back panel. The nails are still there. I think...
4
4

floorboards
Edwardian house, with extention, the floorboards in bathroom need replacing and with the joists running in different directions, I have decided to put down sheet ply or similar in 18mm. Any...

Remote phone
Does anyone know if a system exists where I can link two phones together other than wirelessly or by a long extension wire/cable? My setup is such that I have a two handpiece phone but for various...
2
2