Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

How do I plaster external angles?
I'm a bit confused about how to plaster external angles. I know I need to use angle bead but I'm not sure how to go about applying two skim coats so that I finish flush with the bead. Is this the...
2
2

Repairing chipped enamel barbecue :(
The other day I took the plunge, and notwithstanding Homebase's 15% promo, took out a second mortgage and bought myself a Weber kettle barbecue. Still not sure of the wisdom of having spent 3-4 times...
9
9

Problem with grease gun
After filling my grease gen with grease I find that no grease comes out of the gun although I have pumped for some time What am I doing wrong? Blair
3
3

Removing texture coat
This follows on from a thread where I asked about using Polycell SmoothOver to cover up a texture coated ceiling that we wanted gone. I received a fair bit of advice about the procedure - most saying...
2
2

Siemens Thermostatic Radiator Valve White Compression Angled
Help please. When the cap is turned fully on the radiator does not get fully hot. When I remove the cap the pin then fully extends and the rad gets piping hot. Is there a way to adjust the...
3
3

Fluorescent fault
The fluorescent tube in our garage has started playing up. It fires up and is OK for a few seconds, then goes off, and re starts within a second or two. The starter was replaced around 3 months ago as...
6
6

Chimney Sweeping
Hi - looking to save some cash so thought I'd buy a set of rods and a brush. Any recommendations/advice on sweeping the chimney? They seem to start at around £25 but don't want to buy something...
4
4

Ideas needed for wireless DIY project
Hi everybody, I'm faced with a minor problem, for which I'd like to create a simple, cheap DIY solution. There are two rooms in the house, the first one holds an electrical device (a computer) which...
9
9

Painting furniture
Have some old pine stuff in our spare bedroom I was thinking about painting. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best type of primer, paint, and protective coating? Ideally I want to avoid...
2
2

RCD Tripping Poser (long)
I have a workshop a distance away from the house (approximately 60m). It is fed from an MCB in a consumer unit (with an RCD as a main breaker) through two x 2.5mm FTE. At the workshop it enters...

OT: Copy Drive Contents
I have a hard drive in the computer which is 40Gb. The drive haas a section on it where the backup files are on a hidden partition to do a restoration. Can I put a laregr drive into PC and copy this...
13
13

OT: The People's Pledge
I have just signed up to the People's Pledge, a new campaign that will force MPs to give us a referendum on our relationship with the EU. The People's Pledge is supported by people with a wide range...
2
2

Kitchen Light Fixture - I can't open it. Can anyone show me how?
I have this kitchen light fixture which is very annoying to open. My light bulbs need replacement. Can anyone advise me on how to open this thing? I posted pics of it at Thanks!!!...
9
9

Fruit Juicer for eye problem
It's saying on some websites that the juice from carrots may be of help with Eye Cataracts. Argos catalogue has two reasonable priced ones of page 699. One is £19.99 and the other is £29.99. Would...
37
37

Replacing fusebox with RCD?
I know that there are pros and cons to replacing a 1980s fuse wire fusebox with a RCD box. I can't help but think that the pros outweigh the cons in terms of safety. I moved in to a house a few months...
2
2